Shipping Costs

Page 5 of 7
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 17:42:31 -0400, "EXT"

Actually I've done that. It saved money. And not just for shipping. Back then, the parts are like $4 each. Nowadays they're more like $20 each. For some little plastic caps.

How much per dollar do the salaries of the Stock People, Inventory People, Distribution People, Packing People & Shipping People? What is the cost of the Parts Department building and maintenance of that building?
In brief. How much would you charge for going to a store, buying a $3.00 item, make up a bill for it, pack it and get it to UPS? How long would it take?

The defense in this thread of "high" shipping costs is a bit surprising and largely ignores that most of the costs listed as justification apply to any retail/walk in operation(auto parts stores etc.) other than the actual postage. Staging and inventory are not trivial in any operation and yet retail wise account for a very small portion of the purchase price...... nonetheless the thread ignores the value or benefit of company goodwill that is lost with $8 charges for 25cent parts. Recently I was missing a small non essential part on my KitchenAid mixer, my grown daughter while conducting other business with them asked about buying said part, they said it lists for $8 and then they said forget the charge and sent it FREE including the postage.....apparently not everyone thinks the parts department must be a huge profit center.......guess which brand of mixer/company I recommend to any and everyone? Rod

LGB did that for me, I even had told them I acquired the locomotive I was working on second-hand. I told them what I needed, and a few days later I got a package from them with the exact parts I needed. As a result, I'll heartily recommend LGB as well as take more time looking at their stuff in the hobby shop.
I'm no businessman, but I think if it's less than $10 the company can just forget the cost and deem it a goodwill thing. Who knows, the person you help out like that may just result in more than the part's worth in profits for the company. (This would be very difficult to count...)
Puckdropper

Obviously. :)

They probably do consider it a profit center and that may be why you got it free. It probably saved them $30 in paperwork to just send it out for $8 plus actual cost. Smart on their part. Now when you need that $200 timer for the dishwasher . . . . .
Having worked for almost 20 years in the shipping dept's of a few companies, I can say that the $8 is a very small charge. Like most have said that the UPS charge alone for them to take it is more than half of that cost. That is why it is called "Shipping and Handling". Most places offer only UPS shipping (or Fedex, or DHL, etc.) because that is who they are contracted through. Fill up a trailer and they come get it and drop another. Yes USPS delivery is nice and I prefer Priority Mail ( 2 days from west to east coast in most cases) and a lot less pricey than UPS Blue. Some larger businesses offer multiple shipping selections but the fact is many contract through 1 shipping service.
I actually had Porter Cable send me parts at no charge as well. The safety interlock/trigger lock broke after 2+ years of very limited use (model 7529 and a piss poor design of the interlock parts) . I called with part# and credit card in hand. The CSR was helpful and when I explained the situation, she excused her self for a minute to check my CC status, came back and said that she would send the parts at no charge. When I inquired "why", I was told "have a nice day".
Allen

Rod & Betty Jo wrote: ...

Owing in large part to the fact that they're restocking items in bulk so that the freight charges are amortized over a large number of individual items. Walk in and ask for a special order item and the cost model changes drastically and, more than likely, so will the pricing.
Goodwill only goes so far...for a smaller business or an occasional lowcost item it may well be wise to "eat" the shipping costs. For a large-volume organization, a few bucks over thousands of transcactions adds up to real costs. Should they be amortized in a hidden manner or apportioned to the actual user is then the question? There are justifiable arguments on both ends of the spectrum, certainly. PC has a particular business model--is it the best? Who knows(?), but it _is_ open, known and certainly not unique nor particularly onerous imo.
(Aside regarding earlier complaints about USPS for large volume, I've certainly not tried that end of it, but it would seem as a user/receiver a great benefit for small-ticket/light iitems that would probably increase volume by the reduction of the "buyers' reluctance" syndrome of "Man! I'm not paying _that_ for shipping!")
warbler wrote:

I agree with the majority of the comments about companies having to recoup their handling costs and overheads when mailing products, however having a cheap item and whacking on ancillary costs as shipping costs seems absurd. It is akin to a retailer selling the same item for $3.00 and when you take it to the checkout they add on percentage of: property rent Operators wages unpacking bulk items Cash register costs Power etc. etc. I'd tell them to jack the product and walk. All of the above are included in the mark-up, and so it should be with a posted item with only the actual cost of postage added.
I recently purchased a Dewalt Scroll saw from the US and shipping to Aust. varied between companies from $500.00 - $288.00. My thoughts is that a lot a companies see shipping as a means of making a quick buck. Just my 2 bob's worth.
regards John
John B wrote:

So the fact that you'd probably pay the same $8 shipping charge for several parts is totally lost on you?
Instead of $9 for parts and $8 for shipping, for a total of $17, you'd rather pay $33 for the order? <G>
I see the broken out shipping fee as an honest policy. This is very common in business-to-business transactions, as businesses actually understand the costs of doing business. You'll often see an item cost, a flat handling fee, and the actual shipper's cost.

No. honest is what HF does ... a 5.99 "transaction fee" then shipping is shipping.

Maybe they should tell you what they actually paid for the part as well?
Stephen M wrote:

And how is that any different other than naming the "transaction fee" a "handling fee"???

They break it out.
shippingandhandling has the *perception* of being shipping cost plus profit.
HF has dirt cheap prices and the transaction fee pretty much indicates that they intend to make up the profit in volume.... if you are not willing to purchase in volume, then you pay a premium.
I agree that this is only semantically different than S&H, but *I* find it to be refreshingly honest.
-Steve
Do we really need 98 posts about this topic? I wonder what good posts dropped off because of this BS? Let's stay on topic here.
On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 07:36:29 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (James Silcott) wrote:

Yeah, we do. This is a burr under the saddle for a lot of people. It's good to vent. Or do you prefer people accumulating their frustrations and then one day exploding in rage, maybe harming others? Life's full of frustrations. Gotta let it out somehow.

None (recent) if you subscribe to decent service and Google isalways there for the archive.
The discussion is accurately labled, an it is in the context of woodworking tool/part acquisition.
Quitcherbitch'n
James Silcott wrote:

Huh? <G>
James Silcott wrote:

I've been trying!!! :)
(Still interested to know what was the part that started the furor...)

Dear Owner of The Net:
Kindly block the message threads you don't want to see rather than get up on a horse and chastise the minions. Oh - no posts got "dropped off" because of this thread. That's not how usenet works.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net