Amazon Shipping Is So Weird

I was looking for some LED bulbs for my trailer. I found a bulb that I like was getting ready to order it.

Based on how my corporate network works, my computer looks to many web sites like I am located in NYC, which I am not.

Leaving it as the default zip of 10001 (NYC), I can get Free Prime Same Day *delivery*, total cost $12.98.

If I use the shipping drop down to change it to my actual zip, the item is not eligible for Prime. It's $9.99 + $2.99 shipping, total cost $12.98.

But wait...there's a link that says "Avaiable with free Prime Shipping from other sellers on Amazon". If I use that link, it is eligible for Prime and I can get Free 2 Day shipping, total cost $12.98.

So, obviously the Prime shipping isn't really free and your location matters and the seller matters. It's obvious that Amazon wants you to join Prime because they point you to Prime-eligible sellers for the same item, even though the total cost is going to be the same. The only difference might be the 2-day shipping via Prime vs. standard shipping when you actually "pay" for shipping separately.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I have not seen any reason to become a prime member. If you combine items so your order is $49 or more, you can usually select free shipping when you check out. Actually, I think they lowered the $49 limit recently to compete with Walmart. In any case, I almost always have something to order from Amazon, so I haven't paid shipping charges in years.

For example, search for "LED trailer bulb" on Amazon, then click the option on the left side of the screen for "Free Shipping by Amazon".

I looked at their Prime video offerings but wasn't impressed. Netflix is cheaper and offers a better selection.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

Prime's not worth it to me either. Just don't buy enough. Had wondered about their video offerings and good to know it is not worth it.

Have seen a couple squirrely things from them as they put prime up front and you might think free shipping without it but get charged at checkout. Also you think you are getting direct from them but you are getting from a supplier. Suppliers can be fine but if item is defective and you have to ship back they may be more difficult to work with. Even software which you download for no charge can put you back with the supplier. I had a problem like this a few years ago with MS Office from Amazon ending with MS working with my computer to fix.

Reply to
Frank

I'm not a prime member but my daughter is. She gets a substantial discount as a student so there are a bunch of us that use her account. It's kind of funny. When you open the page for the shipping address, the list of names and addresses is quite lengthy. The same holds true for the payment options. We all have different cards under our own names. Amazon has never complained.

It may all end in May when she graduates, but we'll keep using it for as long as we can.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

Repeat after me; again.

Nothing in life if free.

The customer pays for everything.

That said I will join Prime for their limited trial time. The last time it appeared something I ordered was prime and wasn't (discount). One has to be extremely diligent when ordering from Amazon. My latest order has a span of over two weeks for shipping...

Has anyone noticed that when ordering obscure or non bestseller paper bound books that the back page gives a company in Delaware that printed-assembled it with the date on it closely matches the order date? Never heard of this but I suppose they can't have everything on a shelf.

Reply to
Tekkie®

The last time I got a defective product from a supplier (rather than from Amazon), the supplier gave a refund and didn't require a return (although I had no use for a used printer that doesn't work).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

You have to read the offering as there are many variations. Sold by third party but shipped by Amazon Sold by Amazon but shipped by third party Prime shipping, free 2 days Not Prime, but free shipping. No Prime, shipping added

I bought a phone at Staples for $30. Used half gallon of gas to go get it. Could have had it delivered under Prime in two days for $20.

I never bought anything that said Prime and got charged for shipping.

Nothing is ever truly free Carefully read the offering.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I don't have Prime but order about 20 items from Amazone each year. Good thing about the internet is Ican compair prices from many places and pick the lesser price. Just have to be sure I add in the shipping.

Just ordered a power supply off ebay as the were less expensive. Their price was way under the others, but the shipping seemed high to me. However even with that they were still less.

All most everything I get from Amazon takes them a week to ship and a few days to get here. If Amazone has another vender to ship,they usually ship it out the next day. Just about all the other places shipe by the end of the next day at the latest.

I have ordered some things like a 60 inch TV from Bset Buy as the nearest store is about half an hour or more away. That would tie me up for a good 2 hours . The tv was shipped free, two people brought it out and unboxed it and set it on the stand. They plugged it in and turned it on. They said the policy was they did not hook up the cable or antenna to the sets. Then carried off the box it came in. They even offered to carry off the old 47 inch TV, but I was going to give it to my son. They did move it to another room for me. Sure beats me trying to have to handle that big of a set.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Print on demand. It's been around for years.

Reply to
rbowman