looking for a plywood/lumber hauling trailer

I have an SUV, but no pickup, and I'm doing enough home renovations that I'm considering getting a trailer to tow behind it, for plywood, lumber, and such. Anyone have recommendations for something that (a) won't break the bank, but (b) will reliably haul 4x8 ply?

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

considering

An old used boat trailer with an extra frame bolted to it. Just a couple 2X4s will do to carry plywood. A couple of 2X4 crosspieces will handle dimensional lumber. No need for side racks unless you want to haul trash.

Or find an old camper trailer.

Reply to
clare

considering

You'll want a so-called utility trailer with a bed that is at least 4x8. You don't say what kind of SUV but that makes a big difference. Also, if you're going to be hauling stuff on a highway at highway speed then I highly recommend a dual-axle trailer with electric brakes. Towing a trailer with brakes involves installing in your SUV a brake controller, wiring harness, and plug receptacle. Dual axle is far safer than single axle, in the event of a tire blowout.

A trailer or RV dealer can help you with all this. Ask people you know who have trailers to recommend dealers who won't sell you more trailer than your SUV can handle. To save money, I would shop for a good used trailer from a reputable dealer.

But why not get building supplies delivered by the seller? Delivery does not cost a lot, unless you live way, way out of town.

Una

Reply to
Una

You got a place to park a trailer? Your SUV have a hitch already? How much are trailer plates and insurance in your state? What sort of SUV, anyway?- they apply that name to some vehicles that can't actually tow squat. If it is a 'real' SUV, do the seats come out or fold down? Are there 48" between the wheel wells? I used to haul a lot of lumber in station wagons, before they got replaced by SUVs in the market. Just make sure to leave the front windows open if the wood sticks out the back, lest you breathe exhaust fumes.

How much wood are you planning on hauling at once? If it is only a couple of sheets or a dozen 2x4s, just tie them to the roof rack- that is what it is for. A couple of slit pool noodles are great for keeping the chrome or black plastic from getting scuffed up. If you are doing a bulk buy 3-4 times a year, it isn't worth having your own trailer, unless you need it for other stuff, IMHO. Buy from a traditional yard that delivers, or rent the 75-minute pickup truck from the big-box, if yours offers that. Even if you have to pay 50 bucks for a local delivery, that is cheaper than owning a trailer.

Reply to
aemeijers

considering

Check your local Cragslist. I occasionally see reasonable prices for used trailers. Check the farm/garden section or search the entire for sale section in the search box.

Reply to
Oren

Hard to beat the Harbor Freight 4X8 trailers at aroune $200 more or less. You have to assemble them yourself and add a deck and stakes or sides yourself. When you add the sides, plan on putting the rails on the OUTSIDE of the stakes or offset the stakes away from the trailer frame an inch or 2. The bed is exactly 4ft X 8ft and if you put the rails inside the stakes, they will be in the way of letting a 4X8 sheet lay flat.

Reply to
Larry W

considering

Similar situation. I bought a Thule 5 x 8.5 utility tilting bed trailer with about 18 inch high sides. Both the front and rear sides drop down flat so I can easily carry 10-12 foot stock flat.

It's one of those things you buy and then find out you use it way more than you thought. I haul lumber, plywood, drywall, mulch, soil, sand, gravel, etc. With the tilt bed I can drive a 4 wheeler onto it, and it's handy for renting lawn and garden stuff.

I don't think Thule sells in the US anymore, but I'm sure you can find something similar. My only regret is that it's max payload is about

2500 pounds (limited by the axle capacity). I can only pull 3500 with my escape anyway, but I there are times when I'd wish the trailer would carry more. If I need a big load of soil or whatever I have it delivered, but the delivery charge is a killer if you only need a couple yards.

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

And be careful if you get the folding 4x8 trailer as the hinge in the middle will interfere with 4x8 sheets a fraction on either side.

Reply to
Robert Neville

I drive a small pickup. I own a small HarborFreight trailer that I use for trash, dirt and rubble hauling. I bought the small one because the HOA rules say I must store it in the garage.

Is your SUV hatch at least 4 foot wide? Can you slide in at least 3 foot of an 8 foot sheet? A better choice might be a class 2 or 3 hitch where you can add an extended cargo hauler to support that extra 4-5 foot of materials when you need to haul it. Takes a lot less storage space.

Reply to
Colbyt

I have an SUV, but no pickup, and I'm doing enough home renovations that I'm considering getting a trailer to tow behind it, for plywood, lumber, and such. Anyone have recommendations for something that (a) won't break the bank, but (b) will reliably haul 4x8 ply?

-- Andy Barss

-------

I inherited a 4 x 8 trailer customer made that can be easily towed by my current 178 hip mid sized car but I just gave it away instead. I found that Van rentals or delivery fees from retailers/lumber yards was far more convenient than trying to figure how how to store a frigging 4 x 8 on a 60 foot lot with a single car garage.

Reply to
The Henchman

Huh? I've got the folding one & never had that problem. Mine is

4 yrs old- maybe the new ones are different?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

If you go that route, you'd do well to purchase some better hardware than that provided by HF. Their nuts and bolts generally suck but you can significantly improve their products just by replacing the hardware.

Personally, I bought an used 5' X 10' utility Leonard trailer off Cragslist. I've been very happy with it.

Go down to the local Lowes or Home Depot and check out their trailers. Look at their tongues and what differentiates their cheapest from their most expensive. Then aim for those more expensive features when you shop.

Car sized tires and a v-shaped front frame make for a better hauler than little 8" wheels and a straight beam. And if you buy from an individual, make sure that they have a title made out to THEM. A lot of people claim that titles are easily obtained so you shouldn't allow the lack of one to deter you. Well, that's crap. If it were that easy, they'd have already gotten one. And if the title is made out to someone else, they didn't bother to register it themselves. In my state, that earns the next person to do so a penalty, even though they themselves did nothing wrong.

Of course, not every state requires registering a trailer. If you ever hope to sell the thing later, you better get it titled if you can.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Hanig

I am also wondering why you just can't put the stuff inside the vehicle. I could probably put it in my Escort if I left the hatch open (and tied down).

Reply to
zzyzzx

zzyzzx wrote: : I am also wondering why you just can't put the stuff inside the : vehicle. I could probably put it in my Escort if I left the hatch : open (and tied down).

I can fit 8' lumber in, but the max width I have is about three feet.

and to answer the "just rent" comments, I've been doing that, but it adds up, and is a diincentive to just going out for a couple sheets of drywall. I dislike paying $16 for the drywall and $30 for the rental, or $79 for a delivery.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

and is a diincentive to

drywall and $30 for the rental, or $79 for

I'll repeat my suggestion of the HF trailer. If storage space is an issue- my foldable stores with about a 2x6 footprint. [check to be sure the new ones don't restrict the 4' width as someone posted here.]

I love being able to load the trailer up- park it ext to the job - and use it as a workbench as i unload it. With the third wheel I can get it closer to a door than I'd be able to get a truck

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

and is a diincentive to

drywall and $30 for the rental, or $79 for

Do you have a roof rack? If not, can you find clamp-on roof bars to fit your SUV? (Kinda hard with modern gutterless cars, and the name brands are crazy overpriced.) A couple stout rack bars, and a couple thin sheets of plywood and bungee cords to sandwich flimsy materials like drywall or styrofoam, and you can haul a surprising amount even on a small vehicle, at least if you can stay off the freeway. A trailer would be easier if you have the space and can justify the ongoing expense for plates and insurance, but roof racks were SOP for truckless people for many decades.

Reply to
aemeijers