Trailer advice; followup on moving furniture from Dallas to Baltiomre

Two topics. New question starts with all cap letters several paragrraphs below.

Followup on old question: A couple months ago I asked something about moving a bedroom set from the Big D to Baltimore.

One suggestion was UPS. I appreceiate the suggestion but it turns out UPS won't take such stuff unless it is crated, palleted, or some third thing, all of which would be too hard to get my brother or sister-in-law to do, but even if they hired someone, the shipping cost was 800 dollars. Nowhere near as cheap as the poster thought.

I looked into those packing containers one sees on the street and in parking lots, and they would hold two dressers, my size desk, and a night table, but iirc, they were 1000 to 1200 dollars a container, and they would pick up from only one place and deliver to only one place. Makes sense considering how they are doing it, but I had most of the stuff at my brother's house and a dresser at some storage location, and I wanted to take most of the stuff to my storage locker and only one dresser to my house. Need to rent a truck or trailer at each end.

It turned out that it seemed for me the best solution was to fly to Dallas**, rent a truck, pick up things in two places and drive back.

**American Airlines doesn't give a discount for round trip tickets, so I wouldn't be wasting any money there. No one I could find rents cargo vans one way, so I had to get a 10 or 12 foot truck. About 630 dollars at Penske, 680 at Budget, and 730 at U-haul. Trucks comparable, although some had vinyl seats iirc and some cloth. If I wore shorts, even dirty cloth sounded to me more comfortable than vinyl. U-haul had a light in the back, but Penske and U-haul had translucent plastic ceilings. I could take a flashlight for the few times if any I'd be looking around there in the dark.

Plus about 300 dollars gas when gas was 3 dollars a gallon, and motels, meals, and admission to tourist things like Graceland.

I started liking the idea. I was going to go though Little Rock, Memphis, Nashville, see Mammoth Caves in Kentucky, and drive through coal mining company in W.Va. I've wanted to go to these places for 30 or 40 years. I'd get to use my new fancy compass, and if I slept in the truck one or two nights, or camped, I could use my 2 inch TV which was a gift, never used, and will be obsolete when High Def is everywhere.

So I called my brother to clear October and November and was going to make airline and reservations.

The next day he called me to say that my 6 year old nephew wanted to use the furniture, which is great. I don't have any kids, so it should be he.

2) BUT I DON'T THINK HE WANTS THE SECOND DRESSER AND ITSA LOT NICER THAN the one I'm using.

So I have a new plan. Buy a 240 dollar trailer from HarborFreight, have it shipped to my brother's house, drive to Dallas, assemble it there, and drive home with my dresser on the trailer.

Don't have to do this for 3000 miles, but it says I have to repack the wheel bearings every 3000 miles. DO I NEED SPECIAL WHEEL BEARING GREASE, OR CAN I USE THE LITHIUM GREASE WHICH IS ALL THEY HAD AT HOME DEPOT IN A TUBE THAT FIT MY GREASE GUN?????

I think my LeBaron can tow 500 pounds. The trailer weighs 220, plus the plywood, and the dresser weighs 50 to 80?, well under 500. And then I'll have a trailer for use around town.

Reply to
mm

All things considered, when I want to move furniture by the room full or house full, I call a "Moving Company."

You can save a few $dollars by doing a lot of your own packing and taking down or taping up furniture but it's hard to beat the "pros" when it comes to loading the stuff onto a truck "here" and unloading it "there."

Reply to
John Gilmer

mm,

I imagine $400 spent on craigslist or in the local paper will get you a very nice dresser and be much cheaper than your plan. But if this is about a fun trip rather than furniture then do it. When you get to Dallas the trailer instructions should tell you what sort or grease to use. Any auto store should sell grease in tubes or tubs for packing wheel bearings. I'm betting that you'll want regular axle grease. Be sure before you leave that your car has a good tow hitch and that the electrical hook ups are working. Give a lot ot thought to weather protection. Definitely bring your tool box.

Reply to
David Martel

Buy one from Northern Tool and you don't have to assemble it. Several stores in Dallas.

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--

Reply to
Andy Asberry