Solar roof

I've decided that I'm going to get my roof replaced next year. Will require full tear-off

It's not leaking but it's 30 years old and I had to go with a sub-standard home insurance policy until I get the roof replaced.

Though the increased price of the insurance is negligible, I realize it's time to do it.

Recently I saw an ad where Tesla is supposed to soon be coming out with such a roof and though I am not terribly concerned with generating my own power, according the their ad they said the price would be equal or less than the price of a standard roof.

In addition to that I actually like the way it looks and it has a feature to turn some of the energy into heat and thus keep snow off the roof.

For sure I'm going to look into this but am wondering if anyone here has more info.

thanks

Reply to
philo

Had a friend check on that today. Nobody in the fairly big area (city of around 200,000) was installing them yet and he found only one that had even talked to Tesla and they said they did not know when they might start. FWIW

Reply to
Kurt V. Ullman

That look very nice. Regular solar panels are ugley and can be a PITA when the time comes for a new roof. I'd certainly consider that setup..If is is the same price as a regular roof it seems foolish not to do it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Though there is no immediate urgency to get this done, I also do not want to be one of the first ones to purchase a new product.

Guess I will wait and see.

Reply to
philo

Well, the hard part is now done.

Each year my wife and I take one small vacation and one big one.

She has agreed to skip the big vacation which should leave enough in my budget to replace the roof.

I might even trim those bushes in the front that she's been nagging about for the past ten years.

If the solar roof looks like it's a good product I might very well go with it. If it appears to be in the Beta phase, will probably skip it.

Reply to
philo

For their cost comparison - they are taking-into-account the " estimated " energy savings over the "estimated life " < exagerated ? > of the roof . .. so perhaps over 25 years - you come out ahead ? I would tend to let a few neighbours be the bleeding-edge guinea pigs on such a purchase .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Hmmm , that may very well be the case, I sure can't see solar cells costing less than an asphalt roof

Reply to
philo

On Wed, 01 Mar 2017 20:27:59 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote in

+1
Reply to
CRNG

My feeling is that the ad claiming the price to be equal or less than a traditional roof made that claim on projected energy savings... so I may not even bother to think about such a roof.

At any rate, I do not want to be one of the first to buy a product.

Reply to
philo

Being in a hail and wind area, I would probably check in with my insurance company as to what their payment stance is. Even if it is the same, doesn't mean the insurance company will automatically pay to replace. Especially if the solar part is damage but the shingle integrity remains intact.

Reply to
Kurt V. Ullman

Yes, I think too many things to deal with.

The roof I now have did not give me a headache.

In 30 years the only thing it needed was re-sealing around the chimney a few years after the chimney itself was replaced.

At one time a huge tree branch fell on it and did no damage, I'd sure it would have destroyed solar panels.

Reply to
philo

On 03/01/2017 6:42 PM, philo wrote: ...

Well, you'd think the place for more info would be Tesla but their site is remarkably devoid of anything at all informative.

As others have said, since they're not talking of even beginning production until mid-year, it clearly hasn't had any more than whatever testing they've done so reliability and all in the real world would be still yet to be seen.

In a benign climate, "maybe"; in midwest subject to the kind of weather (read hail) that is pretty common it would seem likely that the increase in insurance premiums that would be bound to come with replacement coverage would eat up a sizable fraction of the payback from the energy savings as, as another noted, the equivalent price is based on the assumed reduction in conventional energy costs.

OTOH, it is an interesting concept and does at least in the pictures look pretty good as far as just appearance. How it holds up and all and what could be the expected lifetime is the kicker, of course. _IF_ (the proverbial big if) it could keep up during a heavy snow to prevent buildup that'd be a trick indeed; once it got covered up, however, you'd guess the effectiveness would be essentially no better than a conventional roof so unless were able to "bank" some heat under the roof I'm guessing that would only really work for light snow accumulation rates/amounts.

Would, I agree, be something to keep an eye on going forward, if the implementation really does live up to the concept over time it might _eventually_ have a major impact for upper-scale/energy-conscious housing.

Reply to
dpb

Thanks to all here for the input.

BTW: Here is my buddy's website he is no longer in business but it has some interesting things

philo

At their site they include savings in electricity costs to equal out the purchase and installation cost. This probably includes tax rebates and

20 year pay out.

At my age I do not expect to be around in 20 years and as a home owner know that very few things function for 20 years without needing costly upkeep or repair.

Reply to
Frank

This might make a lot of sense in places such as Arizona where there is a lot of sunlight and the A/C is used continuously all summer long.

Here in Wisconsin there would be less light and my electric costs are very low. I may run a window A/C ten days a year.

Some years more but others, not even needed

Reply to
philo

Have not seen new postings on this project:

Besides solar panels he has geothermal HVAC. Whole place is computerized.

Reply to
Frank

Yeah that one is five years old.

Anyway I think Arizona is a great place for solar power

Reply to
philo

#CALIFORNIA #SOLAR POWER IS A SCAM BY YOUR OWN GOVERNMENT!!! I had 4 quotes on installment of solar power as for me I am not happy with anyone of them. They are all similar. In regard to tax credit that sound great but if you are on SSI there no benefits, as I understand credit or rebates would be only applied to ward IRS Payments, meaning that it is only for those people that are working and owed IRS money, however the people on SSI that don?t owed IRS any money, rebates/credit becomes useless unless; unless that credit can be use and applied to ward their homes property tax which not available. More swindling, all Solar companies are basing their rates at PG&E will be and continued raise their rates 6% per year, and on my figures that is defiantly wrong. My finding for the past 9 years PG&E in California has raise the rate in Tear2 less then 2% per year, and if you look at last 4 years ?surprise? not even ?.5%? but in mean time Solar Co. want raise and charge you and me; consumer 2.9% raise ?per year?. Yes everybody must make living, but this in my opinion is rip-offs, more then triple+ their investment in 20 years ?on you?. They will show you how much are you saving but that is illogical and disbelief numbers, because they are assuming that PE&G will be raising their rates at 6% as I said before? per year which is inaccurate. If that was to happen our country will be in depression as year of 1939. Yes I have install Solar with $2000.oo down in order to get fix price at 0.19 per kilowatt? Fact is regardless what PG&E rates are, the Sun rays do not have different rates, so why Solar Companies want to raise your rates yearly, it is simple Scamming of people and our Government is backing it because they are the part of the ?SCAM?! There is lot swindling, I am showing here for example PG&E, if you have Solar, PG&E charges are base on one time yearly consumption, which that Calculation will put you in Tear #4 the highest rate possible, at present time $0.36/Kwh. instead of calculating on monthly bases that would put you in bracket of Tear#1 and $0.18/Kwh. Note: This is not presented to you, the installation Companies do not explain this that PG&E will base their charges on accumulative yearly consumption. Now don?t forget unless you purchase fully solar system you will still be paying Solar for power used $0.21 per kilowatt. Example: If you have Solar you will be charge by PG&E $4.xx per month for paper work, which are to be raised to $10.00/Month. On the end of year they calculate how much did you use ?over? the solar. Because Solar fluctuate with the Sun some months are more some less. You will be using PG&E at the times when there is no Sun. The problem here is that PG&E do not calculate on monthly bases here but on yearly, 12 months of use is added and you are charge for max rate because when 12 months are added into one accumulative sum that will most likely put you in Tear#4 or $0.36/Kwh. Instead if this was calculated per month you would be below Tear#1. So: at the end of the year you savings are next to nothing, in mean time Solar financial group will be tripling+ their profit on your sweat and labor. You see Ladies and Gentleman Credits/Rebates are design for the rich and Legislators which they owe at any giving time to the Uncle Sam Thousands of dollars so that can benefit and people on Social Security, Veterans and Disable get rusted shaft in rear. HELLO!!! As I said California Government and Federal is big SCAM. DIGESTED IF YOU CAN! I CAN NOT? A. #Seput

Reply to
Tony944

That settles it, asphalt roof here

Reply to
philo

I'll have to speak to them in a few months. House is here in northern Delaware a couple of miles away next to the swim club we have belonged to for years. I don't think Don got into it for the cost savings but because of his interest in computer technology. His father who is still there was a stone mason who built the house as a ranch house there as his wife liked being near the pool. She passed and Don as only son moved in with his wife and three kids and added a 2nd story for his family so place has quite a history.

Reply to
Frank