Roofing contractors

My insurance company tells me I need a new roof by March of next year.

It's at least 25 years old and I realize it's time.

Since it will require a full tear off, I know it's going to be around $15,000.

So far I've talked to three contracting firms and none have even bothered to come and give me an estimate. Not even a call back to reschedule.

Is business /that/ booming?

I'm obviously getting peeved. Guess I will keep trying.

Reply to
philo

IDK, depends on local conditions. Here in NJ there was no problem getting quotes 6 months after Sandy, when you would think they would be extra busy. I had 3 here inside a week I think.

Reply to
trader_4

Thanks. Guess I will just ask some more

Reply to
philo

One thing to think about is venting, if it's adequate, if you want to change or add. I got rid of a power vent in favor of ridge venting when I did mine. Another is to take a look if there is any rotting of any of the fascia boards at the soffits. I had some, I did that work myself. None of the companies said a word about that, IDK what happens if they notice it at the time, ie do they offer to fix it? It would screw up their work cycle that's for sure, they would have to get the right material, etc. It's certainly better to do it first, as they will put drip edge over the soffit fascia boards and the new shingles will extend over it, etc. If you do it first, you don't have to worry about damaging the old shingles. How about gutters? They in good shape?

Reply to
trader_4

+1 on ridge and soffit venting, you can dramatically prolong the life of your roof by making this simple change.
Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Hard to believe. No absence of contractors around here. I got 4 bids before accepting one for new deck in a few weeks. If you put your name on one of the internet in a site like Home Advisor, they will be contacting you. Not necessarily recommending as they had none of the good contractors I know around here when I looked at their roofing contractors. Roof is maybe next inline and I'm going to call the ones I like in the Spring.

Don't hire just any roofer but make sure they are licensed with workers comp.

Reply to
Frank

Depends on where you are. About 2 years ago I also used the Home Advisor for contractors. Sent it out around 8 AM and by lunch I had either 3 or 4 to call . Four came out and for 28 squares it was from about 8,000 to 18,000. I did not take the lowest,but then next to the lowest price of just over 8,000 this was for either 40 or 50 year shingles. As I was about 65 If they go for 30 years it should be good enough....

As said, make sure the are insured and bonded. I asked and the contractor showed me the paper work on that. I told him I did not want anything to come back on me if they fell off or any other problems. My roof was almost a 45 deg angle. About 8 men showed up and did not use any safety equipment at all. I thought for sure some would fall off, but they walked around the roof as if it was flat ground.

The crew came out about 2 or 3 weeks later as agreed on and was finished in one day. This was a tear off and replace, plus cover 3 power vents and install the ridge vent.

They took off the power vents and put in the roof ridge type as per agreement.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Did they come out and look at it? Inspect your house? I've heard of things like this but in 52 years of owning houses, I've never had anyone look at anything. But I'm also a good looking guy that is very trustworthy.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have a lead an another roofer, will get more info soon.

The gutters were replaced 25 years ago and still in good shape but there may be some rotting wood. I will of course have them look for that and replace as needed.

My days of going up on tall ladders are over.

Also, last time they did add a number of roof vents.

BTW: The bank owned house a few doors away is really a nightmare.

They put new gutters up right over rotted wood.

Houses in my neighborhood usually sell within a few weeks but this one has been vacant for about a year.

Reply to
philo

Yeah, if I have to keep getting my roof replaced every 25 years this is eventually going to be a real PITA :)

Reply to
philo

Since this is going to be a minimum of $15k, just surprised that they don't even bother to give an estimate. The next one hopefully will be better.

Reply to
philo

Even in my younger days when I earned a living by painting houses, I never went up on a roof other than a single story ranch house.

Reply to
philo

Two of them returned my phone call and set up a time to come out and estimate. They never showed up, never called ...nothing.

Also, I went over and talked to the boss of the work crew replacing the roof of a neighbor's house. I said to him when he had a minute to come over and give me an estimate.

He agreed but never bothered to walk over.

I suppose they just have too much business this time of year.

I recall when I was painting houses and it got too late in the year, I still gave estimates and had work waiting the next year.

Reply to
philo

They don't even have to come out. Some use Goggle earth to see the roof and calculate size.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The one I settled on used that Google earth calculator. He was off by abut 2 squares on a 28 square roof. I tried to tell him he was off,but he said not so. Roofing crew came out and looked at the number of shingles and said they thought there was not enough delivered. Sure enough they setimator was off by about 2 squares, but it did not cost me any more. He was probably off due to how steep the roof is,but you know how it is, can not tell anyone with the computer stuff they are wrong.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

It is not uncommon in California. There are several reasons.

It is also common to have insurers survey properties in wild fire prone areas and threaten to cancel insurance if your property appears over grown or if there is too much brush around the perimeter.

My insurer, USAA, doesn't do such things, but there are many that do.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Those three have already told you all you all you need to eliminate them from consideration.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

I was all over the roof in my younger days but not now. I might go up ladder to 1st level to clean gutters but that's it.

One son that is an insurance company lawyer tells me he has several cases in front of him where workers fell off roofs with severe injuries like broken backs or knees that needed replacement and if they don't have workman's comp can come after the home owner. In getting our new deck my wife has gotten copies of insurance for not only the contractor but for his sub that is doing the new deck.

Couple of years ago we had a carpet installer fall and punch a hole in the wall and hurt his shoulder. PITA to get him to fix it and he did not complain about sore shoulder.

We called our insurance company to see if we could get a rider on our homeowners to cover workers and they said they did not sell them although lawyer son with another company got one.

Reply to
Frank

philo posted for all of us...

If they are so busy then riding around the area should give some names. I did that last roof and they gave me a price but my neighbor recommended someone else - who did the work - prices were very close. I wish I had used the one I found... Long story there.

I don't know why they are not returning your call. They can't smell bad breath over the phone. I'm sure material prices will be going up with the hurricanes so maybe they want to fudge their quotes until prices stabilize.

Go to a supply house and get some names. They usually don't steer people wrong.

You aren't on one of those slow pay / bad customer lists are you - or have symbols on the curb?

I had another funny comment but I forgot it...

You have until May so...

Reply to
Tekkie®

Thanks for the info.

I better find one who has insurance then

Reply to
philo