Good q . Wh.

Standing at sink waiting for hot for 15 seconds give or take. Basement heat er is 35 feet away. Is it worth my Time to move it under the kitchen sink? An hour? Save any cash? Maybe move it between (thinking as i go) shower and kitchen? Layout = wh.....ten feet.....shower.....25 ft....kitchen sink.

I understand small cost for copper but i have room and ask how bored am I?

Reply to
Thomas

Insulate the pipe and forget about it. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

How much does water cost? Mine from a well is free but I have a friend who pays and puts a bucket under his shower to collect until hot comes on then waters his plants from the bucket.

Reply to
Frank

ater is 35 feet away. Is it worth my Time to move it under the kitchen sink ? An hour? Save any cash? Maybe move it between (thinking as i go) shower a nd kitchen? Layout = wh.....ten feet.....shower.....25 ft....kitchen sin k.

Between the shower and kitchen would certainly improve it. I assume it's electric, otherwise it gets more complicated. How old is it? You'd certainly save some money on energy, not running as much to get hot water, but it's probably not going to make a substantial difference. It depends on your water usage model. If you tend to turn it on for a quart of hot water many times a day, then moving it will save more than if you tend to pull hot water, then continue to use it on and off for 30 mins or an hour, then don't use it again for a long time.

There are other solutions, eg circulation pumps, but they have issues too. Me, I'd probably leave it or move it, no pump.

Reply to
trader_4

I have town water and sewer. Works out to about 2 cents a gallon. I'd guess less than a gallon runs to get hot enough to step in. If I shower

5X a week I'd save about a dime a week or save $5 a year on plant watering.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'll leave it. Here is what happens...I hand wash dishes (no dishwasher) during tv commercials so I might wash 5 times instead of one shot.

I know...turn off the tv. But after a day at work I need a quick geography lesson. I get that by seeing where we(USA)bombed something on the planet.

Reply to
Thomas

Putting some of that tube type insulation over the pipe would help reduce the heat loss between commercials. Might do that if it's easy to do and you intend on being there years.

Reply to
trader_4

Probably makes it not worth the effort. I like to be frugal and not even waste water though it is practically free except for electrical cost of pumping.

Reply to
Frank

replying to Thomas, Iggy wrote: I think you'd be best off with a Hot Water Recirculator (

The one linked hooks up to your Water Heater and would present instant hot water to both the kitchen and bath. See Instructions and Manual on the right side of the Home Depot page to decide for yourself. They also have an under-sink unit for just that sink (

Iggy

The downside is that unless you install a return line, it pumps tepid water into the cold water line. And I sure would not want that in the kitchen. Faster hot water, stale, tepid cold.

Reply to
trader_4

replying to trader_4, Iggy wrote: I've never had, needed nor installed one, but a literal few people I know with them say the cold's slightly warm (warmer than dead-cold) flushes right out in a second. It's not at all "stale" or old water, it's just very slightly heated. When summer comes around my cold water gets warm, I actually start out cold until the warm flushes it. I don't know what it is or why it remains and I've never had it before in any other place.

Reply to
Iggy

OK, let's figure this out. It takes so long for hot water to get there that you need to install a pump to keep the hot water circulating so it's always available hot at the faucet. To do that, either requires running a separate return line or else using the existing cold water line at the sink as a return line. That pipe is going to be as long as the hot water line. There may be exceptions, it could be shorter, it could be longer, but generally they run together and it's going to be similar in length. The pump runs so that there is always hot water there. Therefore the cold water pipe near the sink is always going to have full temp hot water in it. The rest of the line will be filled with lukewarm water, the exact temp profile depends on the length of the pipe. So, explain to us how while the delay in waiting for hot water is so long that it's unacceptable, you're only going to get a couple seconds of hot or tepid water out of the cold when it's first turned on? In fact, you're going to get a whole pipe length of hot or tepid water, and if I was filling a glass for drinking, making tea, using it for cooking I would not want water that's been in a tank full of sediment and that never tastes right. But whatever you think of the quality of water from the hot tank, the fact is the cold water pipe winds up full of hot or tepid water, unless you run a separate return line.

It's not at all "stale" or old water, it's just very slightly

I've never liked the taste of water from a hot water heater. Have you seen what's inside them? And it's not just slightly heated, the first water coming out of the cold line is going to be just as hot as the hot water coming out the hot side when you turn it on.

Reply to
trader_4

replying to trader_4, Iggy wrote: Well, you have to understand that the Recirculator is thermostatically controlled, it doesn't Recirculate constantly. It pumps and then shuts off, hot side cools a bit and the cold side does as well. Depending on when you use the faucet since its last cycle, you may not even notice cold being warm or that the hot is not boiling hot.

FYI, your city or well water is much older than you like AND the city stuff is recycled. Containing pharmaceuticals, fluoride, chlorines, lead, urine, animal waste, etc. Otherwise, you just need to flush your water heater and replace its anode rod more often. After 7-years mine still looks brand new inside. I got a Bradford White water heater with their Hydro-Jet and I don't get anything of sediment anymore, I used to get a full cup of what looks like kitty litter in

7-years.
Reply to
Iggy

It doesn't have to run all the time, Whatever temp the water is set to be at the hot side at the faucet, water of that same temp is being pushed into the cold water pipe. Say it's set to be 110F. As soon as it drops to ~105F the pump goes on, pushing 105F water into the cold pipe. When the water reached 110F it shuts off, and at that point you have 110F water in the cold pipe near the faucet, 105 water some feet down, 100F water further down, etc. So, again, if the objection is that it takes a long time to get hot water, then you're going to have a long cold pipe full of hot to tepid water. So now you're waiting for cold, fresh water instead of hot water. If that's acceptable, by all means install one. But don't tell us that there is only 2 secs of tepid water in the cold line. And if other sinks share that line, you have the same cold water line issue there.

Maybe your water has urine and animal waste in it, mine doesn't. And it tastes good. Hot water from a hot water tank typically doesn't taste very good, it has an off taste to it. But since you drink urine, I guess you wouldn't notice.

Otherwise, you just need to flush your water heater and replace

Yeah, sure I believe that.

A typical water heater winds up with a lot more than a cup of crud in it in 7 years.

BTW, I see you're still refusing to follow some basic newsgroup etiquette and quote what you're replying to so it's easy to follow. Others have suggested it, you just refuse.

Reply to
trader_4

replying to trader_4, Iggy wrote: Oh well and shucks. I thought this time you might be able to manage your festering A-holery. Nope.

What people tell me is a lie and the millions upon millions over decade and decade are liars.

What I've personally experienced is a lie and I simply can't see the buckets of pixie-dust sediment.

Your city water's special or your well or spring water doesn't percolate from septic leach fields nor have anything to do with toxic rivers or streams. Dream, dream, dream.

And, though I've made it clear I'm not using Abusenet (regardless of what you imagine I'm looking at and typing through), I'm still suppose to sink to Obtusenet's level of TOTAL CRAP.

Thanks for playing, you lose idiot loser and no consolation prizes.

Reply to
Iggy

replying to Iggy, Iggy wrote: ~

Reply to
Iggy

Iggy posted for all of us...

Hey Iggy, FYI ALL water has been recycled since the beginning of earth.

Reply to
Tekkie®

q-wh-1144150-.htm

Iggy still doesn't understand that this is a Usenet newsgroup. I guess he actually thinks all the people on these threads are over there at HomeMoanersHub and it's their website forum. Probably drinking all that animal waste and urine has affected his brain.

Reply to
trader_4