Roofing contractors

I can see my roof from Google Earth but the ones I talked to said they would come out in person.

At any rate, I think I have a lead now.

My step-daughter's boyfriend's brother has his own roofing company and he has over 20 years experience. I will talk to him next week.

Reply to
philo

Also, Google Earth cannot see rotted wood or damaged gutters. Due to trees , only half my roof is even visible

Reply to
philo

Yep, though I doubt I'll hear from them again, if they ever would decide to call or show up I would never consider them.

Reply to
philo

As mentioned , looks like I may have a lead, should know next week

Reply to
philo

We found in contracting for our new deck that the contractors readily supplied the information to assure us. One ditched us when we requested it.

Building permits for roofs are only required here if something like 20% of underlying boards must be replaced. To get a building permit in this county the contractor must be licensed, bonded and insured.

We were surprised that our home owners insurance would not cover these workers and we could not even get a rider.

Reply to
Frank

IMO, your insurance should NOT cover them, but they also should not be allowed to sue you for injuries. They are the dumb ones getting injured not using proper equipment or unsafe practices. My opinion does not always hold up in court though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Exactly!

When I knew it was time for a new roof, I drove around looking for roofers that actually used safety equipment (ropes and harnesses). I found only one so I hired them.  The crew chief told me they wear harnesses because you can't make money laying in a hospital bed.

Reply to
Rob

+1

That's how it should be, unless the homeowner specifically did something out of the ordinary to cause the injury, eg the homeowner moved one of their ladders and hit them in the head while doing it.

Reply to
trader_4

I agree with you but my son says sometimes the court will rule in their favor. These people will appear in court all crippled up in a wheel chair and a jury or even judge will feel sorry for them and award them damages.

I think I mentioned elsewhere that my son got a rider from his insurance company and thought it was about $15/year. My insurer will not sell one and will only offer a policy for hundreds of dollars.

Bad enough dealing with contractors and we all know it is not a picnic dealing with insurance companies. My neighbor, Poor Richard who I mentioned here previously, had this problem when tree fell on his wife and house last winter. It was a struggle for him to get a contractor for his new roof at what insurance would pay and while guy he got did a good job it was done on the weekend with employees from who knows where.

Reply to
Frank

The fifth one I contacted actually showed up!

Roofing business must be really good.

Reply to
philo

On 19 Sep 2017, philo wrote in alt.home.repair:

I have similar problems as you. I need roof work done, but of the several roofers I contacted a few months ago, they all either never responded or told me they weren't interested in the job.

I'm about to start of a new round of exploration. I want to have it done by the onset of winter.

Reply to
Nil

Two of them never called back...two called back and made an appointment but never bothered to show up...not even a call.

I will not even attempt to give them a 2nd chance.

The guy who came over today called me right back...made an appointment same day and even called later to tell me he was running a few minutes late.

I feel good about this one as he carefully inspected both the inside and out. If the estimate is anywhere close to where I think it should be I'm going to hire him. It's a well known firm in town.

Reply to
philo

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 18:51:31 -0500, philo wrote in

If you are anywhere within 600 miles of Houston or Florida, they are all probably down in those places raking it in.

Reply to
CRNG

I'm up in Wisconsin and since I told them it could be done next year the "kinda busy right now" excuse would not work with me.

The guy who did show up for the estimate told me he was very busy but always has time to fit someone in.

I like that attitude!

Reply to
philo

They are doing the last of the work today. It will be exactly one week. Considering they missed several days due to rain not too bad. I was told it would be done within six days depending on weather.

In addition to them correcting a mistake in the original 1898 construction that lead to a chronic (but small) front porch leak...they are completely re-doing the chimney flashing that they told me we not done very well when I had the chimney replaced maybe 20 years ago.

Additionally they are putting flashing/edging all around the edge of the roof. The folks who did it last time skipped that step.

Reply to
philo