Cost of metal roofing

I'm getting bids for a new stone-coated steel roof, and I'm shocked at the prices I've been quoted. Both the bids I've gotten are around $15000 for a one-story house of about 1400 square feet. If anyone has had a steel roof installed lately, particularly in southern California (I'm in Orange County (Irvine)), I'd appreciate hearing what you paid. Do roofing contractors sometimes give highball estimates, and require you to bargain with them?

Thanks, RF

Reply to
RF

Metal roofing is over priced but it does last a long time. They are charging you for the benefit instead of the cost of material and labor.

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly

I have heard that the cost of steel like other commodities has gone way up. The Chinese have become a major user of steel.

I had a Gerard roof put on about seven years go. Still looks like new. Mostly paid for by an insurance company, after my heavy shake got wiped out by hail. Denver area (hail belt), I got a 27% discount on my homeowners. It will undoubtly last the life of the house.

Reply to
Rich256

Orange County is going to be high; that goes w/o saying...

What's the roof style, height, anything unusual like extra dormers or so on...any all of those things are significant in pricing. What about existing roofing, repair existing damage, etc., as well...

The way to get a better guesstimate for comparison rather than simply total cost is what's the cost/square? Also, you could undoubtedly find a retail price simply for the roofing itself as a starting point--it may be more expensive than you think. On the other poster's note of steel prices going up; it's true and all the other factors also apply--the energy prices factor into the manufacturing and transportation on top of the bulk material prices.

Reply to
dpb

Do they have stone coated steel?

I don't think you can buy the material only from Gerard. And they will be expensive:

Rich256

About 6 years ago I replaced my roof. Wife saw the ads for a steel roof and she wanted to get a price. The salesman quoted $14000 for house only, no garage. When I didn't bite, he said he'd give me a much better price if I signed that night. He'd only tell me the price after I agreed. He left quickly with my foot aiming towards his ass.

30 years shingles were $4200 including the garage. Besides, I'll never see the end of the 50 year metal roof.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I priced a 32' x 14' patio cover, all steel by Fabral. Didn't take the price. Went back three months later, and it was $300 more. Took it that time. I'm almost finished with the project, working on it a few hours here and there.

Why don't you locate the materials yourself and ask for a labor only price? Please specify if the prices you are stating are turnkey, or labor only.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Do they have stone coated steel?

I don't think you can buy the material only from Gerard. And they will be expensive:

Yes. But my comment was to agree that steel prices are increasing every day.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Would like to hear more about the long-term life of stone coated steel roof, and application costs. I am familiar with the life of a common steel roof.

Reply to
Dioclese