Sawstop - probably a stupid question

Page 3 of 11

Because I don't think they are evil just because the tried for the government regulation. I don't know their true motivation. While I'm sure that they would have been happy to get the regulation enacted, that may not have been their primary motive. They may have been looking for the publicity to get their product noticed. In that, they seemed to have had some success.
My assumption was also that the government would not be so stupid as to make a requirement for something unless it had been proven to be available and reliable, and that the regulation would not be written in such a way that would preclude the use of an alternate product should one be developed.
As for their 'non-product' status, they are trying to get a complete quality machine made, starting from scratch. If some of the existing manufacturers had decided to license the product, it probably would have been available much sooner.
--
Hank Gillette

that's really a bad assumption, in a lot of cases

Yes, but now that I've noticed them for this reason, I'm not inclined to look favorably on them. Even their "waah, we're not shipping yet because our supplier has several out-of-control processes" letter would have been enough to turn me off from them, but trying to force me to buy something that doesn't work, well, I don't like that.

Google "smart guns" and "legislation" some time. I think your faith in government not doing stupid things is ...misguided...

I thought they were outsourcing it to a low-cost country.

And yet, the people who make a living making saws don't like it either. Hm.

and it would be silly to not use already existing cabinet and top designs.

Charles Spitzer wrote:

Really depends. If they can reduce the manufacturing cost by changing the cabinet and/or top designs to accomodate the Sawstop at lower cost than by using the existing designs then it would be silly to use the already existing designs.

--
--John
'
"Charles Spitzer" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.stratus.com> wrote in message
news:cpsgh7$r7f$ snipped-for-privacy@transfer.stratus.com...
In typed:

There you go again, telling total white lies...assumptions! You do read the articles, right? The website state clearly that it is a bigger, heavier machine than anything offered today. With heavier bearings, and many other improvements.
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com
ted harris wrote:

The bigger bearings is the only "improvement", the others are just bundled accessories. One suspects that the bigger bearings are there because the gadget was breaking the little ones. And given the price, one would _hope_ that it's a premium-quality saw.
--
--John
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 00:07:47 -0800, "ted harris"

not improvements so much as attempts to compensate for the saw trying to self destruct while stopping the blade.
In typed:

You really have no idea what you are talking about, do you? The spindle disengages when it is activated...so there is no additional stress on the motor, bearing or any other part of the machine except for the blade. Thanks for playing.......XXXXXXXXX!!
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

Who says sawstop does not work? You?

As do Delta, Powermatic, Grizzly, and many others? In fact, is there a single saw made in the US?

Of course not, because it is a better product. And by the looks of the machinery they are making, it will be a better product as well.
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

no, underwriter's laboratories.

yeah, right....
Bridger responds:

Ah well. Point him at a little but difficult tome called The True Believer. Eric Hoffer write it, I think sometime in the middle or late '50s, and our society is becoming permeated with them, on one topic or another. And sometimes on all.
Charlie Self "Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power." Eric Hoffer
In typed:

Just who are you acusing of being alienated? Is it possible that the mass movement against sawstop is the very group that is in fact alienated?
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

Trying hard as I can to read it into Charlie's prose, I can't find whre he accused anyone of being alienated.
scott
In typed:

Perhaps you should read the book then.
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

UL did NOT say it did not work. They said it needed more testing...well, why aren't they testing it? That is what they do, no?

Now there's some real brain food!
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

Yep, you pay them, they test it. Perhaps they are not being paid?
-j

OK Ted, your turn. If Sawstop +works+, why aren't you shipping them?

Not the point. In the part you snipped the context was about quality. I'm making a counterpoint.

Right, because their whine letter about, what, rust, wiring problems, and schedule slips must strike terror into the competition. yawn.

they
In
that
I hear ads on the radio touting "side cushion airbags" and other safety features in certain european cars. Of course I am making a big assumption that the car companies are equiping their cars with them and advertising them because they are of economic benefit to the car companies.

And I do, based on what they tried to do.
-j