Sawstop - probably a stupid question

Friend of mine spent her last few bucks on a used Mercedes because it had side airbags. They do sell cars to the safety conscious--the same crowd that wrecked Volvo's image in an earlier time.

Personally I don't like anybody who lobbies for legislation that will restrict my activities and give him a personal reward at the same time.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I'm sorry that I gave that impression. My point was supposed to be that mandatory safety equipment is not inherently bad. I also assumed that it was a given that it should be proven to work before being required.

Reply to
Hank Gillette

Here is a direct quote from the FAQ page ont he sawstop website;

much will a saw with the SawStop system cost? We estimate that the retail price of a contractors saw will increase by approximately $50-100 after a manufacturer retools to add the SawStop system as original equipment.

Reply to
ted harris

You mean the way the manufacturers that won't use the technology?...

I cannot believe the shit I am reading here... Sawstop was apparently invented around 1998 or so. This guy and his employees have been fought around every corner for the last 7 yeays by skeptical woodworkers, and muscled by the manufacturers. Looks to me like he has devoted his life to getting this thing going. Now, after almost a decade of rejection, sawstop is delivering saws as we speak. I wonder how many times Steve Gass had to borrow money to feed his family and keep the electricity on? I'll be that even now he is in debt up to his eyeballs. He believes in this technology so much that he stuck his finger in it twice. Someday, all you naysayers and the rest of the world will view this technology as one of the most important advances in rotational cutting safety. Enough of your ridiculous conspiracy theories!

Reply to
ted harris

30,000
Reply to
GregP

And "engineering paid better" != "had to borrow money to feed his family and keep the electricity on".

Which was my point, WRT ted harris's over-the-top bulls**t.

Doug Miller

Sawstop? ... you're dreaming.

Reply to
Swingman

There's always an excuse to just keep on tuckin', i guess.

Nowhere near enough for the death and money it's costing us. And other people.

Actually,it feels like it's going to have to be replaced.

Reply to
GregP

Well a lot of kids but in reality more kids are saved than with out the air bags. With out air bags more kids would be killed. Even the Flu shot kills some people.

Reply to
Leon

Only required for the front driver and passenger. Our car had the selling feature of having additionally front side impact air bags and rear seat side impact air bags.

At least some sort of passive restraint system is required, and I don't think anyone likes the

Air bags have been proven. The insurance industry has figures to prove that. You wold not get discounts for air bags if you car was not equipped with them.

Reply to
Leon

I have never known or thought a car with ABS would stop shorter and I have the background for working in the automotive industry for 23 years. It simply helps you maintain control of the vehicle particularly when on an inconsistent or slick surface. I have never really heard that ABS makes a car stop shorter.

Reply to
Leon

Leon responds:

Well, I've been piddling with cars for more than twice that long, though not often from an industry standpoint. But I had thought that ABS was supposed to keep that sucker in a straight line, which generally will mean shorter stops than does skidding, letting up on the brakes and correcting before slamming 'em down again.

I'd like to see some test results--I'm sure someone did some at some time--comparing ABS stop distances to an expert driver who pumps away with abandon.

Of course, part of the problem is the number of drivers who perceive themselves as experts, when most of them aren't even competent beginners when it comes to emergency maneuvers.

Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

But the guy who went to Yale, who I also mentioned, and who succesfully defends asbestos suits _is_ about to lose his house. His wife is supporting him working as a nurse, which given the state of her health is likely to kill her.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Coefficient of static friction is higher than coefficient of sliding friction?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Actually, it does a bit more than that--it allows steering control during maximum performance braking. I remember Mercedes demonstrating the original system--Rudi Uhlenhaut (apologies if I've misspelled his name) took a new Mercedes flat out around the track at Indianapolis, with one of the corners wetted down, slammed on the brakes coming into the wet curve, and steered right through it with the brake pedal all the way down.

The old Bendix system that worked only on the back wheels kept it straight but let the fronts lock and thus there was no steering control.

Reply to
J. Clarke

ABS aslo greatly assists breaking when cornering if the need arises. The ABS purpose is to keep all the wheels spinning until all have equal drag. If one wheel locks up the vehicle will start to rotate. On a slick surface you can easily loose control.

There is that Pumping term again.. LOL.. I recall my parents talking about pumping the brakes. My recallolection of pumping brakes is sitting in a car up on a lift and pumping the brake pedal then holding it down while the mechanic opened the bleed valves on the wheel cylinders and calipers to remove the air from the system. Those were the days when a brake job automatically included rebuilding the wheel cylinders and calipers. Anyway, I always applied the pressure to the brake pedal until I heard or felt a change in the tires sound or felt a change in tire traction. For most people I believe that stopping distances can be improved with ABS but all things being equal sometimes skidding on a rough and stable surface can stop a car rather quickly. In Houston you can lock up the tires on the "Concrete" freeways and come to a stop rather quickly, then drive off with flat sopts on your tires.

Yeah...exactly. Houston is loaded with these people. I learned this morning that there are 5,000 accidents every year in Houston simply from people running stop lights. Basically when a light turns red it means 3 more cars are permitted to enter and cross the intersection. I missed that in drivers ed and still cannot fint hat rule written anywhere. ;~) If you stop for a red light when it turns red you might get rear ended.

Reply to
Leon

that's for rear wheel only abs. 4 wheel abs lets you stop in turns.

I'd like to see some test results--I'm sure someone did some at some

abs pulses at 10 times/second. i'm not sure an expert can do that, and they for sure can't just pump the brake at a single wheel that is slipping. most things i've read is that it is just about equal to an expert driver. it also depends upon the surface: on loose sand/snow, abs can lengthen the stop distance.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Leon responds:

Every place is loaded with these people, unfortunately.

Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

Gotcha. Why did I think you're from MKE then I wonder? Did you used to have an execpc address?

Neve hurts to know how the machine will handle.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Then how do you reconcile this with supporting the Sawstop non-product folks?

Reply to
Dave Hinz