Question for SawStop owners

I have recently purchased a new SawStop 3HP Professional cabinet saw. I am still working on integrating into my shop and I?d like to ask othe r SawStop owners their opinion on a change I?d like to make.

I have a cyclone dust collection system and have hooked the saw to that duc twork. The ductwork in my shop requires that connection to be longer than I?d like with additional bends and long flex hose, all things that reduce collection efficiency.

I wish to relocate the dust port on my saw. Currently, it is on the rear o f the saw and I wish to move it to the right side, near the back. It will clear the tool holder on the side and the mobile base. Looking inside, the re is a 4? flexible hose from the blade shroud to the dust port tha t moves when you raise/lower the saw and when you tilt. Moving the port wi ll not stress this hose nor change its performance (in my judgement).

I asked this question to Sawstop and received the following reply:

Thank you very much for your patience with your question earlier regarding moving the dust collection port to the right side of the cabinet. Service e mailed me back and said they don?t recommend you making that modifi cation on your saw, but it won?t necessarily void your warranty. It might be best if you contact our Service Department directly at 503-582-99

34 or email them at snipped-for-privacy@sawstop.com. Let me know if you need further as sistance.

I contacted service department directly, but got no better answer.

So, to recap, I wish to move the port to the right side. This is to get a shorter run with less bends in my dust collecting system and to allow me mo re options in making a outfeed table with storage underneath for the rear o f the saw.

Does anyone see any down side to moving the port?

Thanks,

Bill Leonhardt

Reply to
Bill Leonhardt

There is the possibility of the hose binding inside the cabinet when the blade is moving from full up to down or from a bevel position to another. It seems a lot of work to eliminate a couple of curves.

FWIW I have the industrial version of the SawStop with a 30' flex hose attached to a 1100 CFM collector. The hose runs along the floor in many different positions depending on where I have located the saw in the shop for any particular cutting procedure. The hose runs along the floor then straight up in the middle of the shop over 9' and back down to the collector. I have never had any issue with collection regardless of how many twists and turns the hose may take, and they are ever changing.

Reply to
Leon

can you do it in a way that is easy to undo it

if you can then why not

if that is not possible then can you at least test out your idea without modifying the saw

all in all it is your saw so do what you need to do

would not expect them to give any useful info

too many companies make decisions based on exposing themselves to liability instead of just helping the customer

Reply to
Electric Comet

Thanks Leon & Electric Comet. Since the process is reversible, I'll give it a try and see what happens.

On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 9:37:50 AM UTC-4, Bill Leonhardt wrote: So, to recap, I wish to move the port to the right side. This is to get a shorter run with less bends in my dust collecting system and to allow me more options in making a outfeed table with storage underneath for the rear of the saw.

Reply to
Bill Leonhardt