Sawstop - probably a stupid question

How do they help sell cars? They're required. At least some sort of passive restraint system is required, and I don't think anyone likes the seat belts that wrap themselves around you automatically.

I'm not in favor of requiring safety equipment that hasn't been proven. Nor am I in favor of writing a requirement such that only one company can supply it if there are alternative choices, whether it's SawStop or Halliburton. I'm just saying that I don't think the SawStop people are bad, based on what they've done so far.

Reply to
Hank Gillette

I would have seriously considered one had they been available when I bought my saw.

Reply to
Hank Gillette

No they're not.

Ah, there you go.

Hence, airbags help sell cars.

You're not? You seemed to be before.

They haven't done _shit_ so far, but produce a demo that we've all seen and promise that they're shipping "real soon now", while lobbying to have their nonexistant vaporware made mandatory by law. I see this as a pretty deep hole for them to dig out of before I'd consider buying their non-product.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I agree, I'd like to see a reliable product first.

Well, that's the whole point of patents, isn't it. But despite the millions of patents out there, usually companies find a way to duplicate the functionality of a product without infringing if there is money to be made. Either that, or they license the patent.

I don't see any conflict between being interested in the public good and wanting to make a profit at the same time. If the standard is to give away anything that would benefit the public, why don't I get my air bags for free? Why can't I just walk into the store and walk out with a fire extinguisher without paying?

I _think_ I understand your ire at their attempt to make their device mandatory. I guess it just doesn't bug me in the same way. I'd like to see the justification from the saw manufacturers as to why they were not interested. That has the potential to irritate me much more.

Reply to
Hank Gillette

How many units?

Reply to
Swingman

well, it has control electronics, actuators capable of stopping the blade fast and most importantly it requires a reingineering of the machine to survive the forces generated. even in a production environment this is gonna add a hundred dollars or so to a saw's price. there *are* hundred dollar saws on the market.

Reply to
bridger

I hear ads on the radio touting "side cushion airbags" and other safety features in certain european cars. Of course I am making a big assumption that the car companies are equiping their cars with them and advertising them because they are of economic benefit to the car companies.

And I do, based on what they tried to do.

-j

Hank Gillette responds:

Read what you wrote. You state that I did say it caused it. I said it might, and that it seemed to ME. That doesn't make a statement other than that this is my opinion, which means I did NOT present it as a statement of invincible fact.

I don't know if it does. It seems to me that it does. You don't know if it doesn't. It seems to you that it doesn't, or so your reaction appears to denote.

That is known as a difference of opinion, but there is not much in the way of fact on either side.

Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

That's not what I'm saying. If you read their petitions to the government, they did the "it's for the chillllldrun" method of emotionalizing the issue as a reason for why they should be given a monopoly. It's disgusting to me when a company claims they're doing something for one reason, when really they're just in it for profit. Fine. Be in it for profit, that's perfectly valid, but be honest about it.

Yes, you're missing my point.

Let's see. It has never shipped a unit to a consumer, and the company who makes this non-existant product wanted to force everyone to use their device, which doesn't yet exist. Yeah, I can't see any reason the manufacturers would tell 'em to go away, can you?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Oddly enough, it could actually be because they want their customers to survive a severe crash so they can live to buy another of their cars. Not all safety equipment usage is there because it's a direct monetary gain, either.

Yup.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Cut enough fingers off and they'll stop driving too.

There _are_ people dumb enough that opposable thumbs are wasted on them.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Neither can I.

"Fought around every corner" by the woodworkers, and "muscled by the manufacturers"? That's a bit over the top, don't you think? How, exactly, does declining to purchase a product that doesn't exist constitute "fighting"? How, exactly, does declining to license any particular technology constitute "muscling"? It's not like the manufacturers of other table saws tried to prevent SawStop from coming to market; all they did was say "no thanks".

Looks more like he has devoted his life to making a buck. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but he's not exactly a philanthropist.

Name one person, just *one*, who actually has one in his shop. I may have missed it, but I haven't seen any evidence so far that they have yet shipped any product to customers.

My money is on "zero". The guy's a lawyer, for pete's sake, and the United States isn't exactly overrun with starving lawyers.

You probably lose that bet too.

Keeping my fingers away from the freakin' blade is enough rotational cutting safety to keep me happy.

What "ridiculous conspiracy theories" are you referring to? I mean, besides "fought around every corner... by skeptical woodworkers" and "muscled by the manufacturers."

Doug Miller

It was Wisconsin. It was the winter. It was cold even without the wind-chill.

I'll bet they saw me and decided to go bust some real villains that day.. :)

Reply to
patrick conroy

No, sorry. This is when I lived in that 'Far North Chicago Suburb' - Lake Geneva. Seem to recall it was either the High School or Sentry grocery store.

Ya know - now that I'm out *here* - they've actually done something pretty cool. See:

came out here, via a long layover in Texas and suggested that most of them ought'a invest in the school.

Reply to
patrick conroy

Interesting. Dunno. Springs that slam a hunk of Al into a spinning blade, spanning an inch or less of space. Or springs that need to retract the blade up to 3" into the saw.

Good question for their engineers.

Reply to
patrick conroy

I won't piss on your leg if you don't try to piss on mine.

Did you ever hear of their attempt to legislate the _mandatory_ use of their technology?

That fact sort puts a lie to the altruistic motives in which you attempt to cloak the inventor.

Just my opinion, though.

Reply to
Swingman

How can you drink beer without thumbs?

-j

Lemme guess--you're really a sock puppet for Steve Gass.

Reply to
J. Clarke

You might be surprised. I used to work with an engineer who had passed the bar--engineering paid better. I used to have a secretary who had passed the bar. A friend of mine is married to a graduate of Yale Law School who has successfully defended asbestos suits. He hasn't worked in about ten years. There was a time when everybody who could went to law school planning to get rich quick, with the result that lawyers became a glut on the market. Not saying that Gass is one of the starving ones, but "passed the bar" != "well off financially".

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yes, but it's a minivan. The Caddy had social connotations as well.

If we all drove mo-peds that "large military presence" would still be required. By the way, what percentage of the US oil supply has been provided by that "large military presence" to date?

You might want to get some cortisone or something in that knee.

Reply to
J. Clarke