Stupid castor question

Ok, this may be a stupid question but I am going to ask it anyway. I am making a butcher block island for the kitchen. I want it on locking castors so that it can be used as an island or pushed against the wall as a breakfast bar. I have found a few different castors and they are weight rated. If a castor weighted at 250 lbs is that for each castor or for a set of 4?

Thanks Rob

Reply to
Rob Hall

Here's how to get your castor weight requirement for a give table plus its load:

Equipment weight + load / 3

Example: your table weights 50 pounds and will hold 100 pounds of stuff:

50 + 100 / 3 = 50 lb rating per castor.

Solution: Buy four castors rated at 50 lbs each

NOTE: Use three as a factor, even if you are using four castors.

Reply to
Swingman

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 01:45:40 GMT, "Rob Hall" brought forth from the murky depths:

Each, and it's "caster". "Castor" is an oil. Drink up!

---------------------------------------------------------- Please return Stewardess to her original upright position. --------------------------------------

Tagline-based T-shirts!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Rob Hall quotes:

And she would know?

Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

Yup, and mum would line all five of us up, grab one nose at a time, and shove a spoonfull into each little gagging mouth. Was the olden days version of vitamins - yuck. Or was that cod liver oil?

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Hey who switched the "o" and "e" keys on my keyboard???!!!

Rob

Reply to
Rob Hall

Doug Winterburn asks:

Cod liver oil, I'm pretty sure. Nasty stuff. Vitamins D and A?

Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

one thing to consider is how smooth and level a floor it woll be on and how much rolling around it will do. if you have a very lumpy floor such as saltillo tile or slate the tires will tent to catch while rolling. when this happens, all of the weight effectively is taken by one wheel.

Bridger

Reply to
Bridger

Forget weight ratings. The light ones will carry the load. What you want is a good caster that will swivel and roll easily. Don't scrimp on the wheels or you will forever curse the fact that you saved $3 on the project. Big wheels are better than small ones in most cases. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Probably. Castor oil is (mostly was) used as a purgative.

Reply to
Silvan

On a roll-around, butcher block kitchen island, which is what the OP is building, you certainly want to take caster weight rating into account. If they're high quality and rated correctly, the swivel and roll ability will take care of itself.

Reply to
Swingman

This calculation may be invalid if you only use 2 casters, as it seems the assumption for it is 3 or more.

Reply to
Rosco

Not really. A high weight rating means nothing to the quality of the bearings or the swivel. I buy casters at work. Some that I buy are $75 each. There is some real crap with high weight ratings. They may not crumble, but they don't move well either. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Absolutely nothing "invalid" about it ... it is an industry standard formula for figuring weight ratings for equipment on _four casters_. How many butcher block kitchen islands have you seen with less than four casters?

Reply to
Swingman

You're a gub'ment worker aren't you?

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Yes really ... note I stated "high quality" casters to begin with and said nothing about cost. Equating cost with quality can bite you, as you've found out.

Reply to
Swingman

Guess again ... the only government money around here is all outgoing.

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
Dan Parrell

On 01 Jan 2004 09:00:23 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

or

I thank Buddha that my mother didn't subscribe to that. We got vitamins and/or food containing the vitamins we were short on.

--- After they make styrofoam, what do they ship it in? --Steven Wright

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have one with less than four casters.

It has *zero* casters.

So there! :P

You could also make do with three if you have a couple of spare cats laying around. Just stick one under the high leg.

Reply to
Silvan