Re: This Old Kitchen - Remodel Part 3 - Actual Cabinet Installation

suite...

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Getting a lot done in a short time. I can't wait to see the finished result.

Reply to
Robatoy

Getting a lot done in a short time. I can't wait to see the finished result.

Neither can we! ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Nice job. Whats the box on the kitchen ceiling and will the broom closet get painted?

Reply to
Rich

All these cabinets have a primer coat put on before installation, but since this one was built-in, it missed that particular procedure. I've got the painters busy on the bath vanity cabinets, but will focus them on the installed kitchen cabinets very soon ... the cabinet finish will be a "make or break" issue since a high dollar "designer" is involved (boils down to nothing more than 'lines on paper', which must be ultimately be implemented by those who know WTF they are doing!).

The real finish will be applied later this week, early next, after all the drywall finish work is applied and we can get out of the paint contractor's way.

Reply to
Swingman

The box on the ceiling is actually in the ceiling, it is a lighting recess. The broom closet will also be painted the same color, it was fabricated today, several weeks after all the other cabinets. The others were painted all at once last week. The broom closet exact size was not predetermined until we knew exactly how it was going to fit in the left over space.

Reply to
Leon

Now that I look at it more closely I see it is recessed. I hope its not a florescent fixture! What type of lighting? I've been taking them out and adding can lighting or trimming them with crown molding and using rope lighting inside the crown. Kind of a neat look.

Reply to
Rich

Good luck with the high end designer. They are either really really good or they suck!

Reply to
Rich

"Leon" wrote

That type of situation is interesting, isn't it?

The student-built house project's cabinets were built before the hole was even dug for the house. We had a set of blueprints, but we were going to change some of the dimensions a little. Problem was there were no plans that were drawn with all of the exact changes when the cabinets were built. Besides that, everyone knows that plans are guidelines, and the houses built from them never come out exactly to plan.

When I framed the kitchen, and located the window, I had to make sure I built the house to fit the cabinets. Just a little backwards from normal!

Oh, it came out on the money. No filler strips or cutting down cabinets needed!

-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

Looking great, as expected.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Theirs is always first class work. Boriiiiiinggggg

g.d&r

Reply to
Robatoy

I am not sure what is going to be put up there, it seems that the decision changes often.

Reply to
Leon

Swingman

For those taking notes, here's the "end of mission" for wall removal and cabinet installation:

And here's the fabrication and trim out of the kitchen/cabinets in progress the past few days (last six or eight photos):

Due to manufacturing delays in delivery/importation of the back splash laminate from Canada, that installation is being delayed for another week or so, but, ITMT, the kitchen is indeed usable despite cleanup, final installation of hardware, and the ongoing odd plumbing and electrical trim out.

Reply to
Swingman

Brilliant! I'm inspired by the look. Sooner or later, I'll be building new cabinets for our kitchen and I've been considering the "euro-look" of these that you built.

I like the look in which the doors are the only exposed surface. I'm assuming your face frames are no wider than the thickness of the box panels.. is that true? Or am I seeing solid panel construction of the whole box?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Thanks, Mike!

Mostly true "Euro" ... no face frames. (we shot for a design spec imposed 1/8" reveal between doors and drawer fronts, and some of the necessary faux doors and drawer fronts, and still have some tweaking here and there to do on that score)

We are by no means set up to do what is considered "proper" 35mm cabinet production, but that doesn't mean you can't get the job done effectively, and in many cases with much stronger results, by building the boxes using face frame mentality/techniques, simply without the face frame.

Besides, neither Leon nor I are one's to sidestep a challenge. ;)

"Euro" boxes, done to my taste (not just butt joining a plywood box together) is a lot more labor intensive than face frame construction to get it done correctly and have things, particularly doors and drawer fronts, done with a inflexible design spec "reveal", work out AND stand the test of time ... but for those who like this style, it is worth the expense.

One of those little tedious details is that is probably not a single door or door front with the same dimensions.

I have gained a grudging like for the look myself, especially considering that many of our face frame projects have a sameness that gets old to my eye ... except for the wood and finish, it gets hard to tell one kitchen from the next.

(Of course most of them go into houses I build, with very limited floor plan selection)

The centerpiece of this project is that suspended bar/peninsula, and one of the reasons I took up the challenge ... it is unique and not often effected.

I do think there are a lot impractical elements to this particular kitchen, but it is done EXACTLY to the owner's likes taste, what they want, and that is the ONLY thing that matters in the long run.

Mantra: It is NOT my kitchen, it is not my kitchen, it is not my ....

One other thing ... and IMNSHO, it takes two accomplished cabinet makers to make this particular type of kitchen happen in a timely and efficient manner ... one person can do it, but it would eat up any profit in a heartbeat.

Mike ... I have a complete Sketchup of file of each and every cabinet that went into this project ... should you have the need to get an idea of the construction methods used, you are most welcome to copies of same.

Reply to
Swingman

> And here's the fabrication and trim out of the kitchen/cabinets in

> Due to manufacturing delays in delivery/importation of the back splash

Marvelous! (And thanks for the slide show.)

Max

Reply to
Max

In photo 24, do you waterproof the area that bucket inhabits?

Photo 61: are those rollout drawers in that stack? Hole in countertop for veggie scraps, or what?

Photo 65: Something I've always wondered is why the walls and ceilings aren't primed and painted before the cabinets go in. Access is there, touchup is easy after painting, and the risk to the cabinetry is zero, vs 100% after installation.

Photo 72: Is that 1/4" ply protecting the flooring there?

Photo 85: Ooh, a stove to LIVE for! I sure miss gas cookin'.

Photo 86: How is the butcher block sealed to the sink counter?

Photo 88: Lighted flooring?

Comin' right along there. The finished stack in temp storage grew by leaps and bounds, then dropped dramatically. Lookin' good, mon!

What is that, a $60k kitchen upgrade?

-- Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in order to find peace and order in his inner sanctuary. -- Peter Minard

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Swingman" wrote

Looks good! I am sure they are happy to have their new kitchen.

I am a sucker for a butcher block counter top. I love those things. I knew this guy who used to sell me "seconds" for a good price and I used them for desktops. That big, bad ass stove with the butcher block counter next to it is a winning combination.

As usual, good work Karl.

Reply to
Lee Michaels