Re: This Old Kitchen - Remodel Part 3 - Actual Cabinet Installation

;-)

I was thinking about vertical dividers between drawers, but I see that you don't use them (rather independent boxes).

I've learned quite a bit about Sketchup playing with your design. I was kinda stuck with a way of doing things but didn't explore deeper. I see that you don't put the dados in the design and even have some panels sized wrong (exact fit with no dados). How do you do the layout?

Reply to
krw

As mentioned, that model was for design purposes and I don't get carried away with all the joinery details. ;)

I use my own "dynamic" cabinet models for the style of cabinet to populate the model for the project. These are easily sized in width, depth and height to fit the cabinets to the design model and it's just too fussy, and unnecessary, to put in "dynamic" dados in those models ... besides, I know where they go.

The only problem with this method is that making cabinet changes with dynamic components means you have to make all of the components "unique"on the changed cabinet ... other wise you get some interesting changes in other cabinets.

When I started using SU there were no dynamic cabinets available and you had to roll your own. Now that quite a few folks have gotten into SU, there are quite a few dynamic cabinet models available that can save you a bunch of time populating a space with cabinets for design purposes.

Before building the kitchen, I do model the final version of the individual cabinets in their own files, and either use the CutList plugin and/or enter the component sizes in CutList Plus by hand as a double check.

Reply to
Swingman

Not a big fan of "built-in" kitchen cabinets ... potential for too many future problems when walls move, and they always do.

It's disgusting as hell to walk into a relatively new multimillion dollar home when the original owners sell it a few years later, one in which the kitchen was was ooohed and ahhhed over when it was new, and find that doors and drawers don't fit and it looks like shit ... a very common occurrence.

That's not to say that properly built-in kitchen cabinets can't stand the test of time ... just that the skill to do them properly is almost non-existent in the construction business these days.

Generally speaking, shop built cabinets, if built square, stay square ... meaning doors will fit and drawers will shut long after the house is past its prime.

Reply to
Swingman