5" ROS choices?

Anybody have current suggestions? Have used the PC 333/334's for years but they're now 343/344 and 8-hole pad instead of 5.

Anybody know if anyone's making a 5-hole any more? I am _not_ wanting to have to stock another batch of paper at this point w/ the amount of

5-hole on hand.

Anybody know if the Milwaukee 6021 (or any other suggested) pads will interchange w/ the P-C three-screw mounting? Can still get the replacement pads (or at least could a few months back); I'll swap 'em out if necessary.

OBTW, Festool/etc. is not in the price range for any suggestions... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Nobody has any input at all? Surprising...

--

Reply to
dpb

I have a Bosch 6" that doesn't fit your criteria, but is a very usable tool.

In 5", I have a Festool Rotex125, but you don't want to hear about that.

There is no comparison between the two in quality and functionality.

That said, the Bosch stood me in good stead for ten years, before I knew what excellence in a ROS was all about.

Reply to
Swingman

I just picked up a DeWalt D26451 for a bit over 50 bucks and I'm very pleased with it, so far. It's pretty quiet, doesn't give me numb-hand, and the built in dust collection is decent.

Reply to
-MIKE-

It is hard to argue with 50 dollars, even if the performance is only at 75% to that of a Festool. ( 75% of 5 x 8 hour days, will give you an extra day off every week.) In most cases a unit like that will do the job. If the 'job' is doing a lot of 'jobs', the extra spent on a Festool or other genuine pro products, quickly becomes a wise and pleasant investment. That's not to say that Leon's desire to sand rather than sleep isn't genuine, but even a Festool sander doesn't quite make the cut, so to speak. Maybe that frickin' Mirka might...18 amps.. EIGHTEEN !! Bet the frickin' thing smells nice too...dammit.

If the 6" Ridgid in its recent incarnation is any indication, the 5" will probably suck too. IMHO, you really can't go wrong with Bosch or Milwaukee in most cases.

Reply to
Robatoy

Bosch. But only has 8 hole pads..., so, maybe ...

I don't see why you couldn't take any vendor's pad and adapt it to a new sander by drilling holes through the rubber pad to match the sander.

Or for that matter I think you could take an 8-hole pad and add or modify holes to make it work with 5 and 8 hole paper. I have some 3M sandpaper with elongated holes so it will work with 5 or 8 hole pads, that would make a nice template.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

Jim Weisgram wrote: ...

There's a possibility perhaps, yes. I've not tried actually modifying one; not sure about whether there's any structure around the mounting holes specifically or not. That would be about my only concern other than just the hassle of doing so...

PC has introduced pads for theirs that have slots to adapt for either I see in some looking at options yesterday...If go that route I'll undoubtedly by those at same time.

Thanks for the rec on Bosch...

--

Reply to
dpb

You ruled out the one worth having..... ;~)

Reply to
Leon

But would you risk the investment in the Festool on exterior siding in preparation for painting on old barn w/ hired help also a possibility? It's quite an abusive life and could go thru 8 or may 10 of the PC's for the loss of one light green one... :)

Owing to it being T&G cove and only 3" width, the dust-collecting ability isn't any advantage because there's not enough flat surface for even the 5" to ride on and in order to get into the cove one is always using an edge and so adding a lot of lateral movement as well. I'm too fastidious to put a tool of that type thru that kind of abuse even if it weren't the dollar output itself. :)

OTOH, if were in the shop doing your kind of work any more I'd consider it a likely choice; wish there had been such a thing available wayback while doing the ante- and early post-bellum restoration/rehab work in Lynchburg I've spoken of previously lo! those many years ago...

I'll look at the Bosch offerings and see what is there as somebody else mentioned them as well.

--

Reply to
dpb

OK, thanks, I'll take a look...as I replied to Swingman, the primary application doesn't lend to dust collection but the numb-hand syndrome avoidance is good as the use time is extensive when get going--can spend days at a time doing nothing but prep work. Given the barn is 66x38 and is 40-ft to the ridge, there's a lot of siding...

We got paint on a fair amount of it earlier, but unfortunately despite all the effort we did put in, there are places that show it still isn't sticking so besides the end that wasn't gotten to there are quite sizable amounts that will have to be attacked again. Discouraging considering both the time and money...the paint bill alone was $8k...especially when it looked so good while doing it--used wash, sanded, and oxalic acid that left the old (ca 1918) yellow pine looking as bright as new. But, as much time and effort as was, it was impossible to get every inch and some areas just weren't _quite_ good enough. :(

--

Reply to
dpb

Newbe question Mike. Would you use that sander for the last treatment on a piece you were going to stain and/or varnish? Obviously I don't have one.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

If I had a job that required a bunch of sanding, I would probably pop $170 on that Festool 125 ROS and hook it up to a shop vac. Until I have "someone else" paying for it, I can't justify.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I'm no expert on finishing, but if you're talking about the final sanding of bare wood, yes. I wish I had this on my last project I stained (dyed).

I would not use any power sander for sanding in-between coats or in between stain & topcoat, however. There may be guys who have enough finesse to do that without sanding though the stain or topcoat layer, but I'm not one of them.

As I posted a few months ago, I discovered that hand rubbing with brown paper bag works great for that.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Fair enough. really.

Reply to
Robatoy

Dude... stop right there....

Reply to
Robatoy

Thank you very much!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Or if I had a really sweet gig, right now. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Just don't blame me. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote: ...

I thought it was closer to 2X that... ?

--

Reply to
dpb

Google Products search shows it at $170, everywhere.

There are a few different models....

Reply to
-MIKE-