WT? re: PC 5" ROS pads???

OK, needed a replacement H&L pad for one of the (several) PC 333/334 ROSs as its gotten where won't hold for long (a real drawback to H&L imo as well as the much higher abrasive cost, but that's another topic).

Anyway, go to order a couple and seems there's no 5-hole pad in existence any longer???? Whassup w/ that??? :(

Anybody got a source and is it really true P-C has gone entirely over to

8-hole pads? Leaves me w/ heaven only knows how much 5-hole paper on hand--several boxes of each of grits from 40-200+, anyway...

Is there any other manufacturer of a decent replacement????

--

Reply to
dpb

According to Amazon they're still available...

Shumway

One positive thing about 'Cash for Clunkers' is that it took thousands of Obama bumper stickers off the road.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

OK, thanks--the P-C partsnet link led to a dead end message of "not available online--contact svc ctr". I jumped to an apparently erroneous conclusion they had discontinued them.

But, other question still remains--is it true there are no more new

5-in/5-hole ROS PC sanders? All I see listed are 8-hole.

And, anybody know anything about this outfit?

This seems pretty good deal for the new model w/ both a PSA and H&L pad included if one can believe them. I'd be tempted and see if the pad mounting triangle is the same to retrofit the 5-hole pad or anybody know about that already?

Or, anybody have current favorites to replace P-C? My previous handling of several has always led back to PC as by far the most ergonomic and best value but it's been about 10 years since bought new sanders and they're beginning to get to point of whether worth replacement bearings, etc., as the cases wear to point the dust shield rattles/rotates and armatures eventually begin to fail and they're essentially the price of new unit.

Intend to get back to finishing the prep work for the barn painting and that will be another extremely heavy use period when happens since it's such a large sucker and needs so much work on the weathered siding...

--

Reply to
dpb

Actually IIRC I contacted Klingspore and they sell replacement pads for all of the popular sanders. I was once considering switching from PSA to H&L but never did but they had the pad.

Reply to
Leon

Snip

I replaced my 20 year old PC right angle ROS last year with the Festool Rotex 5" sander. Yes it is about the proce of 3 of the PC's but I have long long forgotten the expense. Sand paper lasts longer with a shop vac. No dust. 3 times more agressive than the old right angle ROS and or 3 times smotther than the old PC. I kept over hauling the old PC too but the Rotex is that much better. If you get one you will be happy with it.

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote: ...

Vac isn't much of an option at 40-ft off the ground in the lift on the old barn or some such... :)

If I were actively doing fine work much any more, perhaps, but it's almost all building restoration/repair on the old farmstead these days and I'd surely hate to tear up that kind of investment dropping one of them puppies from up there...

Likely ain't agonna' happen w/ this ol' skinflint... :)

On the Klingspoor note, thanks; I'll take a look; didn't think of them for the pads altho use a lot of their belts.

--

Reply to
dpb

FYI, the 3M brand disks with the purple grit, that I see often at local hardware stores, use a slotted type hole that should work for either 8 or 5 hole ROS's.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram