Ping Robatoy

Hi, Thanks for your answer on a Fein sandpaper alternative. It's good to hear that I will not need a special backing pad. Do you have a source for Abranet in the GTA? Or do you have a preferred US source. Thanks, JG

Reply to
JGS

I use the pad protector, I don't know where you were told not to. The fact is that the mesh is uniform and therefore can abrade on both sides, you do not want it slightly abrading your sander's pad. Thus, using a pad protector insulates your sander's pad which is presumably an expensive part to replace. The pad protectors are less expensive and disposable.

Here's what Robert at Beaver Tools wrote me some time ago: the MK9955 pad protector will work with the Festool 5" sander. If you are using Abranet always use a pad protector with any sander that is used. The pad protectors are cheaper to replace than the cost of the pad. They are designed by Mirka to work with Hook & Loop pads to better grip the Abranet abrasive.

I bought mine at Beaver Tools in St. Louis: beavertools.com I tried to give some business to a distributer in Calsbad, but he never got back to me on my order. Beaver Tools came through -- and with a wider assortment of the product line.

Also, the grit of the Abranet is a bit more aggressive that the grits I'm used to. I gather the grit rating has undergone a recent change, but I noticed that the 400 Abranets did not polish ebony like 400 paper did. This difference could be that the 400 paper tended to wear down and become more like 600.

At any rate, I think the Abranet mesh is a milestone in woodworking, I even use them by hand. I highly recommend Abranet.

Reply to
John L. Poole

I buy my Abranet, by the box, in 180, 240, 320, 400 and 600 grit. Usually larger quantities in 240 and 320. That's the solid surface business for ya. I buy mine from

in St. Thomas Ontario, near London. I know he stocks my disks, I am not sure if he stocks sheets and rolls. Abralon is another way to get to much finer grits-that competes with 3M Micron papers. Norm is the guy to talk to. He also carries some of the replacement Mirka pads for different sanders. Velcro and Hook&Loop are quite different in make-up. The Abranet sticks way better to H&L and that is the one reason to use an intermediate pad. The Abranet screen itself does not have abrasive on the back, and is isolated from the pad by the loopy part. The Lee Valley replacement pad doesn't do well with Abranet. The hooky part isn't tall enough. For finer grits, I change my strategy to another product, Jost abrasives. Available at
and yes, that is over $3.00 for a single 8" disk for my Fein. Sooo that means if a client wants more than semi-gloss, they pay large.

John at Specialtytools.com sells the replacement 'long-life' Festool pad for the 6" for around $30.00. One of those lasts me a year using Abranet and Jost. Regarding the 400 grit feeling like it becomes a 600 grit, I think the oil/resin in ebony is have some clogging effect, John. Abranet 400 grit is very durable and 2 disks do an average kitchen counter. Slow the sander way down for that. Just a hunch. The world of oily woods wreak havoc on any kind of granular abrasive. A piece of pine can turn an 80 grit disk into a polishing pad tout suite.

European grit ratings are a bit different too. FWW has done a good article about this in the recent (1 year?) issues. On some solid surface products, when adjusting sanding speed, I can get a more aggressive cut with 240 grit than 180. Weird but true. The speed of the sander and the pressure applied vastly varies the differences in outcome.

If, on an acrylic countertop, I take the Abranet route to 600 grit, then switch to Jost disks to 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 1800, 2000, 2500, then a single application of 3M compound and I end up with a genuine mirror finish that is as glossy as the nose on a Porsche...

Robatoy

Thank you both very much. Cheers, JG

Reply to
JGS

Small world. Ever been in Payne's Mills?

Reply to
Doug Payne

Rings a very faint bell, Doug. Mapquest gives me nothing.

Robatoy

NW of St. Thomas, W on Hwy 3 from Talbotville. Named after my great-grandfather (don't remember how many "greats" :-)

grandparents are buried in the little cemetery at the corner of Hwys 3&4.

Reply to
Doug Payne

on Hwy 3 from Talbotville. Named after my

Been by there many, many times. I go from Sarnia to St. Thomas that way. Drop south on 4 from the 402. Small world indeed. You must have shopped at Federated Tools then too? Just zip up Highbury and turn right on Oxford. If one man knows his toys..oops... tools... it's Dave

Robatoy

Yeah, I've dropped a couple of bucks there :) I live in Waterloo, but I'm originally from N.Ont. so it's only a short hop to London for me. And my daughter attended Fanshawe College which is right across the street from FT.

Reply to
Doug Payne