hook and loop sanders

What do you pros use to clean the pad on your hook and loop sander? Mine's coated with dust and won't hold the paper any more. Alcohol?

TIA RJ

Reply to
rj

Is that actually your real problem? I used too much presure and overheated the pad. The hooks had lost the ability to grab.

Reply to
m pautz

I think the "pro's" use PSA paper. Cheaper. At least that is what I use.

Reply to
Leon

I hate it when you degrade me Leon SH - The "I admit using H&L" (amatuer) woodworker

Reply to
Slowhand

Try using some compressed air to get the worst of it off, then pick at it with gaffers tape or similar. I wouldn't use any solvents on the pad.

Reply to
mp

I hook mine up to the shop vac while running (my current dust collector) and when I change pads I put the brush end on the shopvac and clean the hook and loop pad.

Reply to
Eugene

An old toothbrush helps get the stuff out.

--RC

Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

Reply to
rcook5

The pad can be replaced cheaply if it's just worn out. Most borg will have a replacement pad (or at least a universal pad) for most sanders.

Reply to
Dave jackson

Thanks for all the suggestions, (it's my wife's sander - a B&D Mouse). I'll try 'em all.

RJ

Reply to
rj

Ah! No wonder I suck at this... (H&L here!)

Reply to
patrick conroy

Reply to
jhill

Reply to
Slowhand

I have never been able so solve this problem with my H&L 333 PC sander. I even bought a new pad, but the problem persists.

When I apply a new sheet (use Norton), everything is fine for a while, then after (say) 20 min or so, the paper breaks loose and will not "stick" again - I throw it in a bucket and use the sheet for hand sanding. When I put on a new sheet, it's fine again - for a while anyway.

I don't hink it's a pad problem - more like a paper paroblem, but all local suppliers sell the Norton brand.

Frustrated for years with this!

Does anyone have a real solution (or maybe there is none).

Lou

Reply to
loutent

You can sand for 20 minutes with the same disk?

8-10 minutes seems to be the max for me, even with Mirka abrasives. The sandpaper starts to dull and it's all downhill from that point.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

We use Klingspor sanding discs and never have a problem. max

Reply to
max

"Slowhand" wear out before the sander did.

I have had the PC right angle ROS since 1989 and am on my 3rd PSA pad.

Reply to
Leon

Nooooooo... That is not the reason..... PSA simply is cheaper. Especially if you never change grits and or go through several pieces of one grit before changing grits. My ROS sees 150 grit 99% of the time and my SpeedBloc only sees 180 grit 99% of the time.

Reply to
Leon

Good Lord,,, you sand with 1 piece of sand paper for 20 minutes??? You might find that if you change that paper out every 7 or 8 minutes that you will finish in half the time.

Reply to
Leon

LOL Before I read your post I posted almost exactly the same as you.

Reply to
Leon