Ok, thanks for all the input. There seemed to be some confusion on the
pads. I had the sander for just a few weeks, maybe 3 or 4 when I put a new
hook pad on. As per the instructions, I ran the original hook pad on
sandpaper to remove the hooks, leaving only the plastic "base" since it's
permanently adhered to the actual foam pad. The foam part is fine and
running it on sandpaper did smooth it up nicely. I then glued the new hook
pad on with the glue provided, which was "Goop" brand and sucked, as the
hook pad came off in less than 30 minutes of use. So I reglued it using
Elmer's polyurethane (like Gorilla glue). That held the hook pad fine.
What the problem was, as there seemed to be some confusion in this, was that
the paper itself would let go after just a few minutes of use. I've been a
woodworker for 20 years so I'm familiar with what worn out sandpaper looks &
feels like and there was plenty of use left in the disc. I saw a lot of
posts suggesting not pressing too hard on the sander, which I don't. I
agree that letting the sander do the work works best. I also understand
that the paper can turn loose when doing edges, etc. so I turn the speed
down since my model of POS... I mean ROS ;-) is variable speed.
I guess what it boils down to is 1.) Try the Klingspor brand of paper since
I haven't seen that one yet; and 2.) Just accept that this is the nature of
the beast and go through discs like my ex does husbands. :-)
Anyhoo, thanks again for all the suggestions. Love the wreck.