1/2 sheet sander recommendations

I am looking to buy a 1/2 sheet sander for general woodworking use. I am looking on Ebay, and I see some Craftsmen and Milwaukee..What are some of the better 1/2 sheet sanders old and new? I dont mind used, but if I have to, I will buy new. Is Porter Cable better than Bosch, Milwaukee? etc.? There are quite a few Craftsmen out there. Thanks Robert

Reply to
Robert Salz

I started at a cabinet shop about 5 months ago. They have the porter cable

Reply to
no name given

PC makes a sander that looks like the Speedbloc but with slightly larger motor and a dust pickup. Would that be a similar performer?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

No. Only a Speedbloc is a Speedbloc. If you are talking about the grey colored one, it is basically entry level. I have used both and the Speedbloc runs circles around the other one. The Speedbloc will set you back about $85.00 new. The design has been around for ever, so to speak and continues to be one of the best.

Reply to
Leon

That's it in a nutshell. I recently sent mine in for re-cording and a new eccentric bearing after a quarter century of use.

The repair shop had to order the bearing; and while I was waiting to get the sander back I wore out /two/ cheapie (~$30 ea) sanders from the BORG.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

I rebuilt the bad assembly on mine this spring, The clamps broke and the spring and clamp went flying. I never use any thing but PSA but that break threw every thing out of balance. Not too bad for 15 years of work. The new pad assembly made the sander quiet and it runs like new. The new pad assembly included the bearing.

Reply to
Leon

Man, I am glad I asked! Thanks for clarifying, Leon.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I use a Porter Cable...very pleased. Get one with a dust collector if you can.

Whatever you buy, try to hear it before you buy. Some are very noisy...but not much of a problem as long as you wear ear protection.

Have a nice one...

Trent

Trent©