Belt Sander Recommendation

SFWIW, I'd stay away from 4" machines.

In the case of P/C, they use the same motor for either the 3" or 4" machine.

IMHO, the P/C is strictly a toy.

Burned up a couple of them before buying the P/C "Choo-Choo" which they no longer make.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I have been building solid surface countertop since DuPont had 4 colours only. (1986) Been through them all except the Choo Choo.. Milwaukees are heavy. PC's die. Bosch fare a bit better, but the best punch for the buck is the 3 x 24 Makita. We can't seem to break them. Replace the graphite skid pad and the thing keeps going and going. The dust collection is mediocre.... on any of them.

Reply to
Robatoy

If you're really convinced that you need a 4" sander the Bosch

't be beat...........IMHO. I don't use it often but when I do it's a workhorse.

Max

Reply to
Max

I'm looking to buy a belt sander and am considering either the Porter-Cable 362VS or the Milwaukee 5936. Both are 4x24 inch, one variable speed and the other fixed. I have both Porter-Cable and Milwaukee tools and am pleased with both companies.

Any advice on which to purchase?

Thanks, John

Reply to
John Raymond

I'll second that, I've got a Makita that is well into its second decade and it just keeps running and running.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

SFWIW:

Have a Choo-Choo I no longer need.

If interested, contact off list.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

me too.

shelly

Reply to
smandel

Ditto. I'm not a pro, but I use it my 3x21 Makita to sand my front porch every 3 years. It's 20 years old.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

I did have to replace the platen. So I upgraded to the non-metal kind. Can't find the link to the product.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

I had the same model. I used it commercially for about 8 years. It got to where I couldn't keep the belt tracking. I went to replace it with the exact model because of the flat top, upside down capability. I didn't find it , so I purchased this Bosch as a replacement:

was always quite pleased with the Ryobi, same for the Bosch. I also have and use a heavy old Milwaukee for serious work.

Reply to
DanG

I have a Ryobi that keeps going after 20 years. But, not sure if the same quality of Ryobi is there today. I like the fact the top is flat and it can be used upsidedown for sanding small parts. The variable speed is very nice too. I use finishing sanders more than a belt sander, maybe that is why it has lasted so long.

Reply to
Phisherman

That reminds me - One of the things I like about my Makita is the sides are flat and parallel, so I can clamp it in a wooden bench vise and use it upside down.

I've used it to sand the edge of large parts, and do rough stock removal.

I never tried it without fastening it to the bench.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol