belt sander drive belt

How do I put a new drive belt on my bosch GBS75AE sander? There is no stretch in it and it has to go over a flange. Perhaps the flange or one of the pulleys is removeable but how?
cheers Jacob
normanwisdom wrote:

Don't you have the instructions?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Obviously not. Stupid question.
normanwisdom wrote:

Stupid person for not keeping the instructions.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Never had the instructions so there!
if its a toothed belt only one pulley should be flanged. fit it to that one first.
Many belt sanders have a lever on the side to draw back the front roller.
snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com wrote:

DRIVE belt, not the sanding belt.

I don't think it's the abrasive belt he's changing - it's the internal drivebelt.
--
Skipweasel

Fit it over one pulley completely Ease one edge over the other pulley and rotate slowly causing it to roll on to the pulley itself
Mr Alun Davies wrote:

Not possible. There is not enough stretch in it. I think you have to remove the flange but I don't know how and don't want to break anything.
cheers Jacob

It would be worth _trying_. Just proceed very carefully. Motor vehicle engine fan belts don't stretch because they use nylon cords. But there is some give in the rest of the material used. That's why they "bed in", and require adjusting not long after being fitted. I've had to use that method when a supplied belt just wasn't long enough; for whatever reason.
Sylvain.

normanwisdom wrote:

so send bosch an email for a DL manual. http://www.boschtools.com/product-services/owners-manual-and-parts-diagram /
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

replying to The3rd Earl Of Derby, Gearloose wrote: Although this is a little late for the person asking the question initially, perhaps this will help future searchers, Just today I replaced the DRIVE BELT on my Bosch 1274DVS (0601274739) 3" x 21" Belt Sander, which looks similar to the GBS75AE sander. As it was a new belt there was no stretch in it. It was placed without removing any pulleys... with a great deal of perseverance using the following steps! 1) place the belt on the smaller pulley and MAKE SURE the belt stays below the flange at all times; it tends to "ride up" in the following steps 2) gently, but forcibly, ease the drive belt onto the larger pulley starting at one side (at the edge only) and rotating the larger pulley ensuring that the teeth are all engaged (remember to keep the belt below the flange of the smaller pulley, even if the belt "flattens" between the pulleys!!) 3) press the belt fully onto the larger pulley and rotate to ensure proper seating on both pulleys 4) CAUTION: using safety glasses and gloves, plus keep your fingers/clothing out of the belt/pulley area, plug in and quickly test the installation 5) place and secure the safety housing 6) check the graphite platen/plate that the inside of the SANDING belt rides on and replace if necessary 7) install a SANDING belt and adjust the positioning 8) GO SANDING!!!
On Thursday, 14 July 2016 02:44:03 UTC+1, Gearloose wrote:

10 years late no less.
replying to Gearloose, Peter wrote: Thank! - At last a helpful answer :-)
replying to The3rd Earl Of Derby, Peter wrote: I'm here with the same question: Sorry clever clogs, but how to change the toothed drive belt IS NOT covered in the instructions!
Peter wrote:

Yes, you're the bright one alright. A year after a post pointing out the thread was from 10 years before that.
--
Scott

replying to Scott M, Some Dutch guy wrote: Hi, I just want to thank you all and especially Gearloose for sharing this info, even if it was 10 years after. Following these instructions it was done within 5 minutes.