Random Orbital Sander Questions

Hey folks,

Got a few questions here about upcoming ROS purchase.

1) Variable speed: I noticed that this feature pushes the price close to double a fixed speed ROS. Is it worth it? When is it useful?

2) Hook & Loop or self-adhesive: What's the diff? Which is preferred?

3) 5-hole or 8-hole: What's the diff? Which is preferred?

I appreciate you insights here.

Thanks,

codepath

Reply to
codepath

Personal preference. Some people like the feature and some never use it.

Hook & Loop is by far more expensive than PSA "self-adhesive" IF you do a lot of sanding. If you are one that does not wear paper out very often and like to change grits often this may be your best choice. H & L is reusable. PSA is done when you remove it. If you find that you go through several pieces of the same grit paper before changing grits, the PSA is the better choice. There have been numerous complaints from many that use the Hook & Loop for long periods that the pad tends to melt with a lot of use and has to be replaced. Typically Hook and Loop is about 50-100% more expensive than the PSA paper. I prefer the PSA.

Normally the preferred one is the one most readily available or the cheapest. Some of the hole configurations tend to be hard to find and the price thends to be higher.

Reply to
Leon

I'll only speak to the hook/loop and 5/8 hole issue. I couldn't go back to a self stick if I had to. The H/L makes changing grits a breeze. I use a 5 holer and seem ok to me.

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

"codepath" wrote in news:407d70d2$ snipped-for-privacy@news.microsoft.com:

I've owned the current model Porter Cable 333 (non-variable speed) and the current model Ridgid variable speed. I prefer the variable speed, and find myself using it quite a bit, especially when sanding plywood or generally where you don't want to cut to much.

In general, I like the Ridgid a lot more than the PC, which broke after about 6 months of use.

The PC was Hook and Loop and the Ridgid supports both. I've only used Hook and Loop, but I find that it doesn't take long to wear these things out and can't really imagine going back and re-using an old one. So I'm gonna switch to PSA.

The PC is 5-hols and the Ridgid is 8. I don't really see any performance difference. I sometimes use old 5-hole paper with my 8-hole Ridgid and the reduced dust collection isn't a big deal for me.

I wouldn't buy another PC sander. I'd buy the Ridgid again without regrets. Matt

Reply to
MattH
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

WOW......I never thought I'd live to hear a statement like that :-) I feel quite faint.........I'd better lie down for a bit!

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

Wasn't for me - went with a PC333 refurb for $39.

H&L for the weekend warrior when you're switching grits. PSA is more like a "one shot" deal and cheaper for production shops.

Depends on whether you ask PC or (Bosch, DeWalt, everyone else..) :) The only reason to pick 8 hole would be if you buy a lot of sandpaper at WalMart - they stock the 8 hole variety...

Reply to
mttt

I didn't get the variable speed, although it may be useful to slow down sanding. I selected the single speed due to the cost difference. My belt sander has variable speed and I really like that feature, but belt sanders are much more aggressive than ROSes.

I prefer the hook-and-loop. You can re-use the sanding disks and they re-stick better, change faster, than the adhesive type. I'm not sure how the adhesive types can be re-used--perhaps stick the disks to wax paper?

Not much.

Reply to
Phisherman

PSA cannot be reused.. But I always see someone posting that PSA is slow to change... I have been using PSA since 1988 and cannot see how H&L is faster and I have used both. I simply tear a disk off a roll and put it on the sander. When it is worn out I pull it off. No problem. Is that too complicated for some people?

Reply to
Leon

Take a look at the Porter-Cable 733X series of sanders. They have the variable speed feature, dust pickup and a polishing head option. FWIW, the polishing head option works great for APPLYING the liquid wax, Not buffing it out! Get a cheap Harbor Freight buffer for that. I've used mine on my full-sized van and it really speeds the process up. I've noticed that the dust collection system adds a little hassle to the sanding given the stiffness and bulk of the vacuum hose. Use one of those Sears gagets and the vacuum will run only when the sander does. I only wish the PC had one of those brakes that slow the disk down which would prevent swirl marks when the sander first touches the wood.

Good Luck!

Reply to
dustin pockets
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

That's because you are supposed to start the sander when it is already in contact with the wood. :-)

Jon~

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

"Leon" wrote in SNIP

SNIP

While it *might* be considered *complicated* for some people, I made an 'adapter' that lets me use BOTH on my PC 733X. Got a 12x12 sheet of H&L material from Klingspore. Cut out a 6in circle of 1/4in hardboard and sealed both sides & edge with water-based poly. A couple of coats. Glued the H&L to one side . . . and Bob's your uncle !!

Now, if I want to try {or need to use}PSA, I simply apply the 'adapter' as if it were a H&L disk and slap the 'Adhesive' disk on.

I like the Variable speed function because I use the sander for both HEAVY, course, material removal, and 'intermediate' preparation sanding. For 'final' prep, or finish sanding, I use a 1/4 sheet 'jitterbug' or a simple backing block, etc.

Ron Magen

Reply to
Daniel