Recommended random orbital sander?

(Sorry, second posting but first seems to have failed).
Looking for a mains random orbital sander for doors / furniture (not floors).
Won't get a lot of use so probably don't need "trade" rating. My old Lidl cheapie was fine until I lent it to someone doing a large renovation, which burned it out.
I see Wickes has a Makita for £80. I think I would want variable speed again.
On 06/12/2016 11:39, newshound wrote:

My Bosch orbitals with variable speed have lasted over 30 years, the only breakdown on one was the bearing that jiggles the pad failed and broke up, bearing shop had one.
On 12/6/2016 2:33 PM, MrCheerful wrote:

Thanks. This seems to have decent reviews
(Amazon.com product link shortened)81041400&sr=1-5&keywords=orbital+sander
and is probably preferrable to the £40 single speed one.
On 06/12/2016 16:26, newshound wrote:

Those are the ones I have, but an earlier model, very good and gets used a lot. I also use air DA sanders if the job is very big, since they have a larger disc.
On 06/12/2016 14:33, MrCheerful wrote:

I have a Bosch palm sander - bearings failed on that as well ... must be a Bosch weak point.
On 06/12/2016 11:39, newshound wrote:

I bought B&D model BD190E .. many years ago (at least 20) ... still going fine ... It has a decent elipse to it and variable speed. Takes 5" velcro discs
So have to recommend B&D on this item.
On 12/6/2016 5:13 PM, rick wrote:

OK, thanks to all. I have a Bosch circ saw and B&D angle grinder both going strong after 40 fairly hard years, so certainly agree that their old stuff is well made.
In fact I just ordered the Bosch, so will have to keep an eye on the bearings, but at least that is one subject which I *do* know something about. I used to know the research directors of RHP and then NSK (uk), and have a couple of acquaintances at Imperial College and Westland Helicopters (or whatever they call themselves now).