orbital sanders

I agree with the suggestion that Random Orbital is the way to go. I bought a Makita 125mm with variable speed. Not cheap but is nice to use and does a good job.

mark

Reply to
mark

I have had a b & d orbital sander for must be 20 years now any time I used it it was hard going trying to hold it down with all the vibration, sometimes it will try and veer off in one direction. I got a new one a couple of years back and same thing. Currently having to do a lot of sanding (new house and old gloss) It is so bad (the orbital) that I have reverted to using a circular rubber thingy with sand sheets attached.

is this normal for orbitals or can they go `off balance` or any other reason?

Reply to
SS

IMHO, the only type worth having is a random orbit one. Look out for the Lidl one - it's very good. Or if you really need to shift stuff a belt type. The orbital ones a waste of time - hand sanding is quicker.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Par for the course in my experience of B&D orbitals. Even a green Bosch will be significantly better.

Vibration on a decent one is not too bad. Removal rate is moderate. Random orbit are better in most respects - although can't go into corners.

More on sander:

John Rumm

I have a 12 year old 4" one bought from Lidl and a 6 year old 5" bought from Aldi, both have done quite a lot of work. The only time I had the type of problem you describe was when the off centre bearing in the Lidl one seized. I pulled it apart, cleaned it out and it was fine again.

Talking of Aldi I have just bought one of there "fishing caps" I never go fishing but could not resist a baseball cap with an array of LEDs in the peak. Hat come head torch brilliant :-)

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Orbital Sander inefficiency >>

If one uses dry abrasive paper clamped into sander front & rear, then its difficult to get it really tight and its very easy to have 1/8 inch slack in paper. If orbit of machine is 1/4 inch then 50% of efficiency is lost, ie bed of machine doing 1/4 " orbit, abrasive doing 1/8 " orbit (or even less depending how poorly paper is clamped) Self adhesive abrasive sheets or 'Hoook & Loop' (velcro type) abrasive is the way to go - machine orbit 1/4", abrasive orbit 1/4 " - it makes a world of difference

dfrog

Reply to
dfrog

A good point, and well made! ;-)