Shelf ideas

My wife would like me to build an entertainment center that has 2 1/2 to 3 inch shelves and supports. I thought I would make the shelves out of hardwood plywood (which will be stained very dark) and put 45's on each edge to make look like a single piece of wood.

I wanted to know if anyone has done this before and any advice prior to getting started.

Reply to
matt v

Hi Matt,

Not sure what you mean by "45's" on each edge.

If your wife want's you to do it, you should definitely do it - whatever "it" is.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Unless your stain is very very dark (almost black) you will see the layers of the plywood. My suggestion would be to rip thin pieces of hardwood and attach them to the edge of the plywood. These facing strips will cover the plywood and if you want to bevel the edge, you can do that to the facing strips.

Mike O

Reply to
Mike O.

"matt v" wrote in news:1128409539.357838.266840 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I remember somewhere a discussion of a toolset that would put a "V" groove in the edge of plywood, and then a a V-shaped strip of the same plywood would be fashioned so that it would fit in the edge groove and only show the best surface of the plywood on that edge.

Reply to
Han