removing old castors from a chair

How do you remove a castor?

The castor is the 2 section type in which section 1 is a holding socket or bush (anchored/pushed into the chair frame ) and section 2 is the wheel unit which is pushed in to the holding socket & click- locks into place.

ebay uk item no140540581306 4 CASTORS BLACK WHEELS UPHOLSTERY SUPPLIES

is the style.

Am guessing there is a trick to releasing the wheel unit, but I cannot see it.

TIA for any pointers

Reply to
jim

Pull on the wheel unit sharply? And/or insert a lever between the wheel and the socket if possible. That's always worked for me in the past.

Biggles

Reply to
Biggles

What you need is some sort of bifurcated wedge arrangement to go between the fixed bush and the wheel "unit". Think in terms of the claw bit of a claw hammer, only a tad bigger.

Just tap it in and the wheelie bit'll fly out!

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Google "balljoint fork" - is that what you mean?

Reply to
Reentrant