Sawstop - probably a stupid question

I suspect that for a given cost, it can be dropped mre quickly than it can be stopped.

Reply to
GregP

Would you post details about it ? I'm interested in it.

Reply to
GregP

and a whole bunch of (usually) kids killed by them.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

used to be boat sized cadillac drivers, now it's hummer and escalade drivers.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Hank Gillette asks:

Did you READ what I wrote?

Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

That would be hard to do anyway. I think most Forrest 10" blades are in the $120 range.

But, you're right, it's a use for HF 5 buck blades, other than as a source for sacrificial metal for rehabbing planes.

Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

Actually, they _are_ those early 60s Caddies. Since you can't get a car like that anymore, people buy SUVs in order to have the same amount of space and comfort.

And if you ban SUVs then you'll see people driving around in bobtail

18-wheelers to get the same.
Reply to
J. Clarke

Sounds like you would make a good customer. Feel free to buy one. Let us know how it works out.

-j

Not to jump into the middle of this arg - but IIRC, one of the rags (C&D and R&T) had some fun here. They had run across some Driving School where the instruction was to "lock 'em up and lock 'em up hard." I think they brought in some "semi-pro" drivers and tried to see who could stop shorter with the most control. A pro who put the foot down to the limit of locking, or an amature who just stomped on the pedal.

The conditions were dry - and the locked up brakes consistently stopped shorter.

I had driven a lot of miles on ice and snow, and when my first vehicle with ABS showed up, I spent several hours in a empty parking lot retraining my foot to let the system do it's job.

It's still hard to get your head around "I can steer, I can still steer..."

Reply to
patrick conroy

But the technology does _not_ exist, except in their demo units. If they could ship a reliable product, they would be.

Not if the patent is written in such a way as to restrict others from adapting it.

Actually, all that results from that legislation is a gas-guzzler tax.

And yet, I bet there's someone out there who holds the patent on the airbag, and they're not trying to have the government force a single-source for their invention.

Public good is _not_ their motivation. That's fine, really it is, but pretending it is is what gets me.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I've been an EMT for about a dozen years. I have seen a lot more people hurt very very badly by running into dashboards, windshields, all sorts of other hard/sharp/non-moving stuff in a car, that they wouldn't have hit if they had their belt on and had an airbag been between them and what they hit. The statistics of airbag-related injuries show it's a _very_ small amount compared to the injuries they prevent.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Right. I saw a similar study, not sure if it was the same.

Well, the ABS "stomp hard on pedal and leave it down" wasn't technically locking up the brakes.

A very good driver can "threshhold brake", where he applies pressure to the foot pedal _just_ shy of losing friction. The problem is, he has one foot pedal, and there are four wheels, each of which are going to have a maximum braking before they start sliding/skidding. One actuator, four outputs. He can only be as good as the slippiest wheel.

ABS, on the other hand, detects slip and modulates the brake pressure to specifially that wheel. It's doing on each of the 4 wheels what the really really good driver can only do on the slippiest of them at best. So, for the one wheel with the least grip, it's as good as an expert driver; for the other 3, it's making adjustments that that driver just can't get to, because he doesn't have 4 left feet or the response time.

The _only_ situation where ABS can be beat by an expert driver is in a slush/heavy snow situation, where you _want_ the tires to slide so the snow gets pushed in the front of the tires as in a snowplow, but of course you can't steer when that's happening.

Fun times. Did the cops stop over to see what you were up to as well? I explained, and they said "have fun" and left. Being in my 30s helped, I'm sure, they were probably expecting a 17 year old or something.

There is some very interesting vector force stuff going on when you're steering while it's in ABS mode. Saved sheet metal damage for me once already, I'm certain.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I do something like that in the winter every time I get another car: Buffalo requires a lot of slush & ice driving.

Reply to
GregP

Just about any minivan does that a lot better than just about any SUV. And those big old Caddies didn't really have all that much room in them, especially if you considered their ponderous gas-eating bulk requiring a large military presence in the Mideast to support, just like the majority of the SUVs out now.

Reply to
GregP

when i was auto-xing, there are LOTS of times i didn't want the abs to kick in, mostly when i wanted the rear of the car to step out to turn the car faster.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Yes, it does. Hey Patrick, was this the empty parking lot at State Fair Park, by any chance? ISTR we're both Milwaukee locals.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Isn't that what the hand-brake is for? Keep the front (driven) wheels going with your right foot, pull up on the handbrake, let the ass end slide around. Works great in a Saab, I suppose if you have RWD you can do something sort of like that with the throttle?

"left foot steering" is what the Saab rally drivers call it.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I read it. You left open the possibility that you think the airbags are a factor.

"but it sometimes seems to me that adding extra safety gear to cars and SUVs gave a lot of people a sense of invulnerability that is a bit frightening."

What point did you make that you think I missed?

Reply to
Hank Gillette

corvette. rwd. manual transmission. already doing heel (brake) and toe (throttle) with the right foot. one almost never takes hands off the wheel in autox, so ran out of limbs to do that. also, a vette handbrake is on the left side of the passenger seat down low, and you have to apply it harder to get it to release as it's on a ratchet of some kind. i usually can't reach it when using a 5 point harness.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer