Coffee Stain Experient Update

Those of you who have been here longer than all day know I am trying to get away from toxic stuff, So, I've switched to water-based poly (which I'm quite happy with), tea stain (which has worked nicely), latex paint where I can, etc. - all water cleanup, versus mineral spirits or paint thinner. And, have tried coffee stain, with mixed results.

I was out in the shop knocking out some of my knock-down bookshelf units, and ran across my test piece, with my coffe stain tries. It has one coat of coffee, two, three, and four. The last time I'd seen it, it was about two weeks after the test, and the three and four coat test were still sticky, the four coat markedly mor so.

Part of the problem may have been that I didn't allow enough time between coats for the coffee to dry sufficiently, befor putting on the next coat. I almost wixh now, I'd stuck the test piece somewhere I could frequently check on it, because the results look pretty good. That would have given me an idea of how long it took for the coats to dry.

Anyway, the single coat had dried within a reasonable time. I don't recall now if it was overnight, or a few hours. It looks good, a nice coffee color.

The two coats also looks good, quite a bit darker than just one coat. I recall it didn't take significantly longer to dry than the single coat.

The three coats are very dark. It took long enough to dry that I stuck it in the shop while it was still tacky - a couple of weeks as far as I can recall.

The four coats are not really noticeably darker than the three coats. So, I don't feel it would be worth the extra time. Plus, it probably took longer to try.

I used instant coffee to brew this up, very, very, strong. I don't know if it would have dried faster if it had been weaker, or not. I think it might. I've got a project pending that I think would look very nice with the same shade as the two coats of coffee, so I may do some more testing with this.

The tea stain dries very quickly, and multiple coats goes pretty rapidly. It gives a nice shade, but not not nearly as dark as the coffee stain. I tried adding food dye, but it didn't do enough to make it worthwhile.

I also tried adding a bit of latex paint to the tea, which did give a pleasing result, but I think just thinning the latex, without the tea, would do just as well - making a wash, or stain, rather than a thick paint surface. This needs some more research, but I think it will give more a colored stain, rather than a "wood" stain look. I came up with a very nice tarnished copper look this way, for one of my protypes. I think this method could be very nice in some applications, especially stuff for kids.

An afterthought. Since I tried Turtle Wax shoe polish, I've been looking for more since. It worked quite nicely, but not been able to find more. I tried Kiwi shoe polish too, which I can find, but I'm not satisfied with that at all. So, looks like I'll just stick with Johnson's paste wax, which also works quite nicely. Still got almost two full cans. Hehehehe

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Very interesting - I'm all for reducing toxicity. Do you have any experience with coffee- (or tea-) stained wood fading if exposed to sunlight? Also, I wonder if coffee could be dissolved in 1-lb shellac to make a non-grain-raising colored finish. In my experience, orange shellac looks good on red oak, but looks too yellow on white oak, so I've been trying stains/dyes that would make it look less yellow, but still clear and natural-looking. Thanks for sharing, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Sounds like you have hygroscopic coffee residue on the 3x and 4x patches.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Was this with cream & sugar or Navy style straight up?

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Maybe a little warmth followed by a sealer of sorts or coat of poly?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Wed, Mar 15, 2006, 8:11am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Andy) doth query:

Good question. No. That made me think about setting the test piece outside. But, I won't be using it for any outdoor projects, and it might be water soluable. So, I think I'll just sit it on my truck dash. I'll try to update in about a month.

So, read the sig, then try it and find out..

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Wed, Mar 15, 2006, 7:03pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@die.spammer.die (Australopithecus=A0scobis) surmises: Sounds like you have hygroscopic coffee residue on the 3x and 4x patches.

No, Maxwellhouse.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Wed, Mar 15, 2006, 3:12pm snipped-for-privacy@netcommander.com (Gerald=A0Ross) mumbles: Was this with cream & sugar or Navy style straight up?

No, I said it was strong coffee, not Navy coffee.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Oh yeah, you need to learn to snip. Or, if you already know, then use the knowledge.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

I know from twenty years of selling the stuff, that Instant coffee is very sticky, especially when you make it as strong as you did. It tends to get very "syrupy"(if that's a word??) as it dries. Have you ever tried using real coffee grounds? It seems to me that if you were to use about 3oz (by weight) of medium or medium dark roast coffee grounds to brew a half of a pot of coffee, that you would have a very rich colored brew to experiment with. In fact, it should be about the color of espresso. Dark roast beans would likely stain almost black.

HHHMM, Perhaps I should be heading out to the shop to do a little bit of experimenting.

Have fun Doug

Reply to
BiffNightly

Wed, Mar 15, 2006, 9:07pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@snet.net (Edwin=A0Pawlowski) doth ponder: Maybe a little warmth followed by a sealer of sorts or coat of poly?

Possibly. But, I think I'll just try a bit more time between coats, for anything over two coats, first. But, I think I'll mostly just stick with no more than two coats, for now. Seems to dry reasonably fast, dries well, and gives a nice look.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

you need to learn

snip

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Thanks for sharing your results.

One traditional staining medium you didn't mention is chickory: I have used it to even the shade of oak boards, and to match antique coloring on old beams. Works fine, and you can easily use successive coats to achieve the shade you want. I have shellaced and wxed over it with no problems.

only one p in my real address / un seul p dans ma véritable adresse

Reply to
Peter Wells