Pentair to sell tool division: Delta, Porter-Cable

Page 3 of 9
Year 0. I'd even settle for 0.2 but no less precise than that.
back do we want to trace to determine ancestry?

Unfortunately, CW, there is no year 0. 2BC->1BC->1AD->2AD ad infinitum.
scott
Have you always been this humer impaired?
wrote in message > How far

Now at first I was assuming that he was talking shortly after the "big bang" so that the relatives were (I guess) just some form of energy. But then I realized he said "year" so since we use that term to describe time based on the earth going around the sun, he must have been talking about when that dust cloud first started coming together and circling that new star. I guess we were cosmic dust particles at that point. Of course he could be a really conservative Jew and be talking about 6,000 years ago or so - but no, he doesn't seem too religious. I don't know, but my last immigant ancestor that I am aware of came here from England around 1768 - although there are a couple of gray areas in the mid 1800's that could have been some newbies. And yes, there are a couple that apparently immigrated during the ice ages since I am supposedly about 18% "native" american.
Dave Hall
You'd best not say such blasphemous things in the south. Don't you know that evolution is a dirty word? ;-)
I read a fascinating book a while back, "The Surprising Archaea: Discovering Another Domain of Life" by Professor John L. Howland of Bowdoin College. In it he presents the most compelling argument in support of evolution from they type of event that could give rise to your primordial stew. An enjoyable and very informative read.
RB
Everett M. Greene wrote:

Sort of like saying "unwed mother" instead of "single parent," is it?
Or in line with the discussion - "illegal alien" versus "undocumented migrant."
Anyone but me get Diane Ravitch's _The Language Police_ for Christmas?
It reminded me of my class in early Stalinist literature, except I could laugh at it then.

Welcome to the new world order.......Why do we keep electing these same people year after year who do nothing but accept special interest contributions, take care of them selves, and continue to sell us out?
writes:

I'm not sure how much of this you can blame on government vs. behavior patterns of our citizenry. Protectionism never works -- looking back at the luddites and others who opposed the industrial revolution or looking at the quality of goods produced in countries with protected industries shows that such behaviors only have short-term benefits and long-term detriments.
I have no idea what the answer is, but I don't think looking to government to solve the problem is the answer.
snipped-for-privacy@hadenough.com says...

Take another look. The Luddites were not protectionists per se, they were anti-technology. As were those who opposed th4 industrial revolution.
And the reason that protected industries tend to produce shoddy goods is that they're not subject to competition within their own country, not because of protection against foreign goods. Look at our auto industry. When GM and Ford and Chrysler controlled the market, they all went downhill because they cooperated more than they competed. And we've all heard endless stories about price-fixing in a lot of industries.
So saying that protectionism doesn't work is somewhat akin to Chesterton's famous quote "Christianity has not been tried and found wanting, it's still wanting to be tried." :-).
And I repeat my previous assertion that the major problem we face is preserving our independence. How do you fight a war if all your steel/oil/electronics is imported from a country that becomes, or favors, your enemy?
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

You know, I hear this periodically as an argument in this culture war. Whether any or all other arguments against imports are valid or not I don't know, but I find this one rather silly.
What kind of a war can you imagine that would have all the manufacturering countries against us and be so protracted in actual battle that we use up all of our tanks, airplanes and guns, yet we don't call an end to it by using the nukes?
I find it difficult to imagine an all-out, protracted, conventional battlefield war like WWII occuring. The type of serious attacks and battles that would require would rapidly escalate to where one side or the other would threaten nukes and some negotiated stand-off would happen (or the nukes would actually be used).
I think you are planning the last war - which often gets nations in trouble.
Dave Hall
snipped-for-privacy@nhsd.k2.pa.us says...

Ouch! So it's no problem 'cause we could always nuke 'em? Great solution!

Could be, but I hope the next one is more like that than like the nuclear you envision. And don't forget that a country, or group of countries, can exert a lot of pressure without war. Did we threaten to nuke the Arabs over the oil embargo?
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

favors,
Lotsa precise machine work used in makin' them nukes...

So where did I say it was a solution to anything. I simply asserted that is the FAR more likely senerio than a protracted battlefield war if either side came anywhere near to losing or suffering major causualties. I don't like it, I never invented the damn things, but they certainly changed the mathmatics of major wadfare forever.

What does that have to do with a war that uses up all of our manufactured war materials to the extent that we cannot make replacements - which was the premise of the OP and why he said national security demands that we stop importing goods to support a national manufacturing base so that we can make war materials when we get into the next big war.............

Syria?
What? We're shooting spitwads now?
but they
certainly changed the mathmatics of

Agreed, but it would be nice if they would stop making the problem worse.
Frank
Not so sure about other employee-owned outfits, but I do know that the state employee unions and our teachers' union members would rather see their "brothers" laid off than forego their raises in a time of tight money.
What was it the beggar said to Tev'e in Fiddler on the roof, when given one kopeck? "One kopeck, last week you gave me two kopecks."
"I had a bad week."
"Because you had a bad week, I should suffer?"

There's no doubt that capitalism and international trade are great economic levellers. However, the level may well be quite low if nobody can afford to buy the products that are being produced (cheaply).
On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 16:03:50 GMT, "Frank Ketchum"

they wont worry bout it till its thier jobs that are lost and they have to downsize that great big high dollar house they bought. does anyone realy think they will be able to afford to live here in the style they have become accustomed to on the wages that are paid for services????? i think not.
skeez
snipped-for-privacy@earthlinknospam.net says...

Electricians and plumbers are doing OK :-).

That's not the problem. The problem is our growing dependency on the rest of the world. It's hard to stay independent when your tank/jeep/halftrack/etc engines are all made elsewhere, just to pick an example.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Can you say, "Do you want fries with that ?"
Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop

SNIP Do we really want to be a country that is incapable of manufacturing anything?