Pentair to sell tool division: Delta, Porter-Cable

HOW?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

UA100 responds:

Wrong! Three chimes.

Charlie Self "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." Mark Twain

Charlie Self

Larry Blanchard

Buy used. :-)

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

damn...

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

I wonder about Biesemeyer. I was looking at their website to try and ed-y-kate muhself and noticed they were owned by Delta.

Reply to
p_j

A better solution would be the Sales Tax only system.. Then you could choose how to pay your taxes, or not to. I have been involved in the creation of many "off-shore" positions (I.T.) to Montreal. The main reason my company did it was that Wall Street expects it to happen now or the company doesn't look like they are in control of their labor costs. It has nothing to do with legalizing foreign labor. It has everything to do with stock price. I guess pretty soon, I'll be going over the wall to Mexico looking for a job.

Greg

Reply to
Greg Layton

Brian:

In the wonderful world of corporate greed, some mba asshole accountant type will figure out it is cheaper to fly some guy over from India to fix your car or truck. The first step in the right direction is one term limits for congress and outlawing special interest groups from lobbying.

We all need to become auto or truck mechanics. They can't exactly send a

Reply to
Mike

Welcome to the new world order.......Why do we keep electing these same people year after year who do nothing but accept special interest contributions, take care of them selves, and continue to sell us out?

Reply to
Mike

tax base because we are not keeping up with population growth enough to keep up with government spending!!

Reply to
Mike

If China and Japan stop buying our debt, we will be worst off than what you describe. Unfortunately right now they need us as bad as we need them but the music will eventually stop. The thing we should pray for is to have the China bubble to burst like our dot.com one did a few years ago. Don't blame either country, the real villains are corporate America and the buffoons that run it.

Reply to
Mike

Maybe the best thing for government to do is stay out of business all together. Politicians are already screaming for a raise of minimum wage to over $7.00/hr. For what christsakes!? Because some lame idiot was too busy smoking dope and beating the other kids for lunch money to stay in school to be educated!? So now he has to live of min. wage or welfare? Then taxes are raised which drives up the costs of businesses or wages are forced to be increased for the guy who sweeps the floor, takes out the trash, etc... and the overhead for businesses go up. Government (legislative and judicial) always screws things up because they are all a bunch of lawyers instead of business men. Bill Gates produces a better more users friendly product and everyone sues him because he's got a "monopoly". No they sue him because he's got money and it is politically correct to demonize him. A guy invents a better way to copy papers. Nobody likes his idea and tells him to hit the road (i.e. Eastman Kodak). So what does he do? He hocks everything he has to start a garage business to produce machines that use the process of xerography ( 99.999% of all copiers, faxes, laser printers today use this process) and XEROX is born and becomes big and successful. So then all those companies that rejected him end up filing a law suit against XEROX and win to get a release on his patent and boom the Japanese kills us on the world market with copier and printer technology. Sue the Tobacco companies because people are too stupid to read the labels and too stupid to be responsible for their own actions. Demonize them because they are successful, and get a court order to steal their money. Another successful business on its way down. No if any politician really wants to support the economy, then get government the hell out and let businessman do their jobs. Create successful companies that produce our jobs. So we can produce products that are both good quality at a good price.

"SteveC1280" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m04.aol.com...

Reply to
Joseph Smith

Actually, you can only say the American Indians were the first immigrants.

There does seem to be a difference between the immigrants of days gone by and many of the current immigrants. The ones from days gone by wanted to *become* Americans and build a better life. They adapted to their new country while maintaining their family traditions within their own households. Many (please note the word "many" not "all") of the current brand of immigrants are seeking a better life, but not with the desire to assimilate into society -- look at the preponderance of languages in which California ballots are printed -- they want our society to adapt to *their* traditions. Much of the money that is made by many of the illegal immigrants is sent back to their home countries.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I'm not sure how much of this you can blame on government vs. behavior patterns of our citizenry. Protectionism never works -- looking back at the luddites and others who opposed the industrial revolution or looking at the quality of goods produced in countries with protected industries shows that such behaviors only have short-term benefits and long-term detriments.

I have no idea what the answer is, but I don't think looking to government to solve the problem is the answer.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Nope, Japan. China is not quite there in terms of high-end, consistently reliable manufacturing.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Take another look. The Luddites were not protectionists per se, they were anti-technology. As were those who opposed th4 industrial revolution.

And the reason that protected industries tend to produce shoddy goods is that they're not subject to competition within their own country, not because of protection against foreign goods. Look at our auto industry. When GM and Ford and Chrysler controlled the market, they all went downhill because they cooperated more than they competed. And we've all heard endless stories about price-fixing in a lot of industries.

So saying that protectionism doesn't work is somewhat akin to Chesterton's famous quote "Christianity has not been tried and found wanting, it's still wanting to be tried." :-).

And I repeat my previous assertion that the major problem we face is preserving our independence. How do you fight a war if all your steel/oil/electronics is imported from a country that becomes, or favors, your enemy?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

That should be simple. To make more of us higher paid workers out of touch with employers. If your not seeing this your not seeing to good are you?

opening up the gates so foreigners can take the jobs we have left?

Reply to
Stan kirby

Maybe. Look up Kennewick man. Boy do the Indians want to get him reburied without further examination.

I once knew 3 process control engineers from Ghana. I told them they were the only folks I'd ever met who were NOT immigrants :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

|> Brian Elfert | |Your family makes crap? Unless you are an American Indian, your forefathers |were immigrants.

Actually, even if you are an American Indian your ancestors were immigrants. There is no evidence of human evolution in the new world.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Around here, about half of the building framers appear to be from south of the border. On the bright side, we have a steady supply of taco trucks for a tasty lunch.

Reply to
kenR

I must be heading in the right direction then. I am an auto AND truck mechanic!

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith