Pentair to sell tool division: Delta, Porter-Cable

Page 1 of 9
Pentair has hired Goldman Sachs to sell its tool division. Brand names include Delta, Porter-Cable, DeVilbiss Air Power, and Oldham Saw.
Pentair is selling because the tool divison only generates 10% margins vs 13% for their water systems.
I'll bet this will be the last gasp for Made in the USA Delta and Porter-Cable products. A new buyer would probably move Unisaw production overseas to increase margins.
Brian Elfert
Add pictures here
✖

Man that sucks. I hate to see changes coming like this since I really like Delta and Porter Cable products. On the positive side, they may be able to offer the same quality of tools at a lower price and still get a better margin for themselves with oversees production.
Frank
Add pictures here
✖

offer the same quality of tools at a lower price and still get a better margin for themselves with oversees production.
Ya true and the hell with the folks working the Delta PC production lines, they never bought what you had to sell anyway. (I really should throw in a smiley face with my comment, but this is all too serious.)
--
Rumpty

✖
|>On the positive side, they may be able to |offer the same quality of tools at a lower price and still get a better |margin for themselves with oversees production. | |Ya true and the hell with the folks working the Delta PC production lines, |they never bought what you had to sell anyway. (I really should throw in a |smiley face with my comment, but this is all too serious.)
Maybe the employees should consider buying the company themselves. They get to keep their jobs and it might even increase their market share.
Add pictures here
✖

vs
production
like
Pigs might fly
Jon~
Add pictures here
✖
More jobs heading over seas. I'd like to see one of these presidential candidates push for a buy American movement.

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comremove (SteveC1280) writes:

Pentair doesn't even have a buyer yet. We don't know that any buyer will move jobs overseas.
Yes, it is likely that production will move overseas. If production of the Unisaw is moved overseas, there will no longer be any reason to buy the Unisaw. The Jet is already less expensive and the quality is nearly equal to the Unisaw.
We all need to become auto or truck mechanics. They can't exactly send a car or truck to India for repair. They can fly airplanes overseas for overhaul, so don't become an airplane mechanic.
Brian Elfert
Add pictures here
✖
(SteveC1280) writes:

Even though manufacturing is leaving this country at an alarming rate, some say not to worry since the services sector is growing so fast. The implication is that the GDP can remain at the same level even though more and more manufacturing is lost. This kind of thinking troubles me. Do we really want to be a country that is incapable of manufacturing anything? Just how much potential is there in the services sector?
Frank
Add pictures here
✖
Does this mean there may be more Indians than Chiefs? Unbelieveable.
On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 16:03:50 GMT, "Frank Ketchum"

Add pictures here
✖

Nah. Never happen.
Major League Baseball mandates a smaller team roster than what the NFL allows.
*guffaw*

Add pictures here
✖

I don't like all the manufacturing jobs going overseas, but it is happening. I try to buy USA made where possible but some stuff is almost impossible to find made in the USA. I can't always afford to spend a day or two trying to find an item made in the USA.
In another decade or so, we won't have any IT jobs left in the USA. Everything will be farmed out to India. With the Internet, all the servers will get moved to India. The only computers left in the USA will be desktops that are maintained by a very small workforce.
I fully expect to be out of a job in 5 to 10 years as server administration gets farmed out overseas to save money.
Brian Elfert
Add pictures here
✖
Brian, as a professional programmer I will echo your sentiments. Things I've made my living on the past 25 years are now being done in India. If you'd have told me back then that I was making a bad career choice, I'd have ask you what planet you're from.
Back on topic - I like Wes's idea a few posts back. Isn't there at least a couple of employee owned airlines that are doing pretty well? Why not a tool company ?
jim bailey
writes:

Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 19:54:49 GMT, "Jim Bailey"

i will second that! i am not in the IT feild. I am in construction so its different. my job is not going overseas but all the imigrants are taking the construction jobs now because they are willing to work cheap. wages are dropping because of this but the cost of living is not dropping is it? i dont pretend to have the answers but at this rate WE will be the poor country and the poor countries will be the rich ones. think about it.
skeez
Add pictures here
✖

Some immigrants do great work, but some of them produce crap. My friend owns a house in Atlanta built mostly by immigrants. It is the shoddiest work you have ever seen. Almost everything has been redone at least once. My friend has spent 10s of thousands on repairs to a new house. Last I heard, the stucco was being replaced because no expansion joints were used.
I worked with a group of Hmong cutting grass in the 80s. They expended more effort figuring out how not to do work than actually working. Luckily, it was a drought year and there wasn't any grass to cut.
Brian Elfert
Add pictures here
✖

yeh BUT for the most part contractors today arent realy interested in quality. the main concern seems to be how fast can you do it and how much is it gonna cost? when 5 illegals can go in and knock it out in 1 1/2 - 2 hours and it will take me most of a day to do it right by myself and they cut my prices by 40% chances are they will get the work. the prospective home buyer wont see all the crap because he or she wont know what to look for so quality doesnt count. its a sad state of affairs but that seems to be the way the industry is going.
skeez
Add pictures here
✖

Your family makes crap? Unless you are an American Indian, your forefathers were immigrants.
The head of our space program that put a man on the moon is an immigrant. More examples available if needed. Ed
Add pictures here
✖

I think everyone knows what I meant. I guess I should have said illegal immigrants or recent immigrants.
Brian Elfert
Add pictures here
✖
Brian Elfert wrote:

Well Hell then, why not jump to the chase and just say spics, greasers, or wetbacks? "Then" we'd all know what it is "you" meant.
UA100
Add pictures here
✖
Yes, everyone knows what you mean.