OT: The value of Ethanol

Page 6 of 6

I was in Houston for a weekend in early May. It was way too hot. I can't imagine what it's like in July. Personally, I'd like to move further north. Maine has a great deal of appeal
Cheers, Jeff
"Jeff" wrote:

When we were very young boys, the father of a friend of mine once suggested to his son that if milk came from a contented cow, then beer must come from a discontented horse.
Obviously an attempt to delay his venture into the land of suds.
IMHO, Bud, Coors and Miller have no problem being clasified as products that come from discontented horses.
They certainly don't qualify as beer.
Lew
Thu, Jan 10, 2008, 5:17am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Jeff) doth posteth: <snip> But here's the *real* reason why this policy is detrimental: IT'S DRIVING UP THE PRICE OF BEER!!! <snip>
It's my understanding that the so-called non-alcholic beers are created from regular, alcholic, beer, and processed to remove the alcohol. There's still a bit left, sufficient to give me a mild buzz - you've gotta realize tho that it's been years since I've drank, and seldom drink even a NA beer anymore. A couple even taste decent. However, what I'm getting to, I would think it would be totally possible to caprure this processed out alcohol and then process it as fuel. Fuel prices will drop, beer supplies will increase, a winning solution all around. By the way, found this picture on the web, this isn't a picture of you, is it?
http://www.beastforum.com/uploads/av-560671.gif
JOAT 10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I quite agree.
Wed, Jan 9, 2008, 5:39pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Leon) doth sayeth: Totally OT but like Global Warming, Ethanol is a political hot bed. <snip>
I figure it's a political hot bed because the politicians are so busy sticking their ignorance in the way that a workable solution is delayed that much longer.
Politicians? Politicians? We don' need no steenkin' politicians.
I understand Brazil is a large user of ethanol for vehicle use. The ethanol is brewed from sugar cane, after the sugar is processed apparently, and then the cane is burned for the fuel to process the ethanol. I have NOT looked for details on this, just from items I've read here and there. Sounds reasonable to me. Like I said, it's my belief that if the politicians would just stay out of the way, the people that actually know what they're doing could git er done.
Politician Pol`i*ti"cian, n. Latin for career criminal
JOAT 10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I quite agree.

Politics: A combination of the word "poly", from the Greek meaning "many", and the word "tick" meaning a blood-sucking parasite.

Not quite...the "sugar" is where the alcohol is brewed from.....regrettably the fiber doesn't feed the yeast and when yeast don't get fed, yeast don't pass "gas".......

While I like the concept of politicians staying out of the way.......in Brazil it was the politicians that created and encouraged their very successful alcohol fuel program (desired energy independence following the 70's oil shocks).......nonetheless the recent oil price run up and as importantly the development of flex fuel vehicles has taken a "ho hum" with falling public interest program and made it a wild success. Rod
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22027663 /
--
FF