countertop options

I'm putting together a low-budget kitchen counter and cabinets for my shop. This is a separately framed area within the shop with heating, carpets, bathroom, library, billiard table etc. I just hung the cabinets and set the base cabinets. I got them all from craigslist for $ 30. Also picked up a stainless steel sink w/ faucet for $ 5.

Anyway, my choices are to buy an 8 foot piece of countertop from the box store, or, build one myself using plastic laminate.

Question: What are my options for the transition between the back of the countertop and the backsplash? A sharp 90° corner would catch crap and be hard to clean. Can I radius the laminate? What radius? Any other options? Maybe buying the countertop is the best?

All advice appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

I do countertops for a living, Ivan. For minimal work and minimal investment, I suggest a 'post-formed' countertop. That is the kind with the back-splash already attached. Those types have an inside radius, something the basic home-owner couldn't do. (It takes a hot-wire machine.) Most lumber yards will make them to order. Also, try a Habitat for Humaity recycling depot. That's where I drop off a lot of mine.

HTH

Robatoy

I do countertops for a living, Ivan. For minimal work and minimal investment, I suggest a 'post-formed' countertop. That is the kind with the back-splash already attached. Those types have an inside radius, something the basic home-owner couldn't do. (It takes a hot-wire machine.) Most lumber yards will make them to order. Also, try a Habitat for Humaity recycling depot. That's where I drop off a lot of mine.

HTH

Thanks for the sage reply Robatoy. I will follow your advice.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary