Kitchen counter

We have one of those kitchen counters with what looks like a laminate top stuck onto some wood. Part of it was damaged a few months ago and I went to HD and Lowes to ask about getting a replacement 'patch'. They said I can only buy it with the wood attached and I'd have to replace the whole counter - or at least a good section of it. The damage is only about 3"x3". There must be a way to buy just the surface part and stick it on without having to replace the whole wooden piece.

Anybody know where I can buy the piece I need?

Thanks.

Paul

Reply to
D'Olier

Hi,

Here's my .02 worth...

The material used to support the laminate is very cheap (10' x 25" costs about $15.00 at my local lumber yard), the laminate itself is the cheapest countertop material - so why not remove the damaged section and replace it?a "patch" will look like hell, and probably cost as much in time/labor...

Good Luck,

Kevin O'

Reply to
Kevin O'

Some 15 years ago I had an electric coffee maker go south and burn a 3 inch patch in the Formica laminate of my kitchen counter--the intense heat caused the laminate to bubble up and crack.

I managed to find a scrap of the very same pattern (whatta surprise--the counter was 20 years old by that time) at a store. I think it was the sort of store that sold resilient floor covering--don't remember for sure.

So I cut out a 3" disk from the scrap, laid it on the burned area, traced around it with a pen, and then carefully routed out the bad stuff with my rarely-used-but-at-times-indispensible Dremel tool (I don't own a real router). I used epoxy to glue in the patch.

Of course it's noticeable, but hardly so. Just a thin gray line around the periphery of the patch. And completely water-tight. It was holding just fine when I sold the house a year ago.

--John W. Wells

Reply to
John W. Wells

------------------------------------------------------- Repairing laminate is nearly impossible why not route out a removable cutting board or hot plate area where the

3"x3" patch is needed.

Carpenter Ant

Now this is what I want to do. I could live with a barely noticeable line around the patch. The thing is, where do I get the laminate. The house is only three years old so it should be available but as I've mentioned the big two (Lowes and HD) have said das ist verboten.

Reply to
D'Olier