Roof top

I've gained quite a bit of information from lurking on this group and other spots on the web, and finally started to tackle our roof. Spent the last two days ripping off the previous two layers and collecting materials/tools. One big question I have is the very crest of the roof. This one has about 5 inches of flat spot. They previously had stacked about 4 layers of regular shingles over the top, but I'm looking for maybe a better way to do it. Corning makes hip/ridge shingles with a specific ventilation function, but I'm not sure if this will fit correctly on this roof top. Any hints, tips would be greatly appreciated.

clyde

Reply to
Clyde Gill

materials/tools.

Most people get all the materials they start, but what the hey- hope it isn't gonna rain anytime soon down your way.

Same place that sells the shingles probably has all sorts of metal or plastic ridge cap available, either that stays naked, or is designed to have a single layer of cap shingles nailed to it. A vent will only do any good if your framing and decking has the gap over the ridge board (assuming a stick built roof). Hard to see your roof from here, so pretty hard to give good advice. Do you have a polaroid or digital camera? Lay a ruler across the top, and take several pictures to show the guy at the supply house, and they can probably recommend something apropriate. If you don't have a vented ridge, and don't want to try to retrofit one, you could always piece in a peak with a long 2x ripped to the appropriate width, some blocks to hold it upright, and long strips of decking. 5 inches isn't much- you could angle-rip some 2x and toe-nail it in side by side, with the sloped cuts matching the slope on each side, and get a good nailing surface for the top course and the cap shingles.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

Clyde, have some tarps ready to deploy if you don't make it in time. I suggest doing the job right this time as previous folks were papering over the rot. I'd like to see the inside of that peak to tell how much damage, if any, was done when they cut that off. Did they cut the ridge board? Now would be the best time to fix the structural damage. At a minimum I would build the ridge back with wood before shingling it. I would rebuild the rest of the deck, cutting back where necessary fo avoid using tiny pieces. And do some research on flashing that intersect of the two roof lines to prevent further leaks. I hope you have some help.

Reply to
Tomcat14