Is parquet flooring passee?

I would like to replace the carpets in my rather large living and dining rooms with wood flooring.

Our local HD carries only one cheap brand of parquet flooring ($ 1 per sqft). It even looks cheap. They carry a whole range of engineered flooring and an even larger selection of laminate. I consider laminate a "fake wood" and do not want it in my living room.

Parquet flooring used to be considered expensive and elegant. Has it lost its luster and is it now considered passee?

Reply to
Walter R.

It's not trendy, so if you want the latest fad you will have to use something else.

I think of parquet as timeless, and elegant.

$1.00 per sqft seems cheap. iFloor is a good place to do flooring research:

Karl S

Yes, it's considered passe, but it is still elegant. (Not my taste, but...)

If you like it, unless you're selling in the next few years, put it in and enjoy it. I'd encourage you to go to a real flooring store, though - not HD for it.

Case in point about things being passe - nearly ten years ago I remodelled my bathroom. I went with a plain 4x4 white tile with a row of decorative tile shot through it. The bathroom contractor I worked with encouraged me to go for those bigger glossy rectangular tiles which were in vogue then. But I wanted a clean, classic, bathroom look. Guess what's more in style now.

So, who knows, in a few years, your parquet may be 'back'. But either way sowwhat - if you like it, put it in. It just means you'll need to go to a real flooring store to get decent options. I wish you success.

Cheers,

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Parquet? Is that the square tiles?

It's "in" if you're looking for that 70's look. If you don't want the modern "fakes" it's a simple thing to just put real wood.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I suppose it is passe but ... I put in an oak parquet floor in my new_at_the_time kitchen in '93. At the time I didn't think much of it ... was on sale, was a warm color and a hard wearing surface. But when I compare it to that floating hardwood floor or whatever it's called that DIY people are putting down these days, it's looking really good ... imo. And it's really easy to install ... it's interlocking, or trim as required with a simple jig saw, and glue in place ... too easy.

Reply to
bowgus