Putting an Uplighter Together

I have been having fun with up-lighters recently especially when it comes to putting the light fitting on the top section of tube. One that I have tried is at Amazon:

The shade detaches but the cable is fixed to the light fitting and the instructions say just screw it in. Obviously with the cable coming out the side as you screw it in the cable twists.

Am I missing a trick here? Does it matter if the cable in the top section has a tight twist on it?

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

In message snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net>, Jeff Gaines <jgaines snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk> writes

I suppose you could pre-twist the cable such that it is near normal when finally fitted. Why do you expect stuff from Amazon to be perfect?:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Not sure why the bulb holder should be rotating. The shade on our old one just fitted like any other shade. You place it on the bulb holder and then screw up the retaining collar. The bulb holder is usually screwed up tight to the pole before you start. Maybe yours is loose and that needs sorting first?

Maybe you can share a photo of the inside of the shade and the bulb holder?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The bulb holder is fitted to the cable which feeds down the top section and comes out the side so screwing the bulb holder and top section together means the cable twists as it is not free to rotate.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Hmm, still confused. I’ve never come across a light where the bulb holder isn’t already attached and wired to whatever it’s supposed to be attached to. Sounds like it’s been misassembled in the factory.

I mean, I guess you could remove the plug, unthread the cable, screw the socket on and re-thread the cable but you shouldn’t have to do all that.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

That was the only solution I could think of. It's not mis-wired, the instructions tell you to screw it on (the pipe and fitting are threaded). I got another one today from Argos, different make but same instructions and exactly the same problem.

They were cheap. The IKEA version was cheapest, the top pipe section and light fitting are already made up but in 80% of cases is delivered with a broken shade. The one from Amazon has a dozen or so reviews pointing out the cable problem which I took up with the supplier who wasn't interested and said I was making a fuss about nothing.

Anyway, got my money back from Amazon for both the IKEA and the one with the cable problem with instructions to throw the lamps away.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

It could be argued that uplighters are wasting energy, as most of the light is wasted. I wonder if anyone has made a device that gives the effect but with directly powered leds? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

That is what led panels are.