Non smart lobby lamp

My brain hurts!

We have a 3m x 3m external lobby linking to a store and garden access. Pressure is being exerted to install illumination for key finding, boot removal etc.

3 pages of the Screwfix site largely point toward intelligent/Alexa switching which I refuse to use.

Can someone kindly point towards a wall mount, low wattage led lamp triggered by a movement sensor having a few minutes *on delay*?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Try Mr Google for outdoor pir lamp

and you should get thousands. Here's Screwfix:

Joe

Why the on delay, do you *want* to stand outside, in the dark looking for your keys until the light decides to come on?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Tim Lamb wrote on 18/01/2023 :

Try CPC

Andy Smith

In message snipped-for-privacy@jrenewsid.jretrading.com>, Joe snipped-for-privacy@jretrading.com writes

Laziness > this way:-) That's 5 pages! I was hoping someone had done this job recently and could make a recommendation.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Grammar! I meant stays on for a short while:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I guess a dim lobby lamp would mean nobody could see by it? Seriously, who would want alexa involved in such a simple task? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Is there sunlight available? If so, one of the self-contained solar fittings might be useful.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

what search terms are you using? Alexa devices seem totally inappropriate here..

Well I would use a separate sensor and lights.

So a wall mount sensor.

Then whatever lamp you want. There are plenty of wall lamps:-

Dave G4UGM

Reply to
David Wade

In message <tq8p3f$t43o$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Andy Smith snipped-for-privacy@b.com writes

Ok Andy. Bit industrial but 10W LED should be more than enough.

10W LED Floodlight with PIR, 4000K, 735lm, White, IP65 -

I decided the microwave detector might also see us moving inside the house.

Now I have to get the order up to £20 for free delivery:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

To be in direct Sun, mounting would be too low. I have power in the barn so just the cable hole to drill.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Ok Dave. Points taken. I know this is d-i-y but I was hoping to keep the job simple.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Nope, handy to be able to override abnormal behaviour and to program stuff like when it can operate with Alexa.

Not always easy to have the sensor always trigger it when required and never false trigger.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

You only need dim to be able to take the wellys off and find the keyhole.

Anyone who has tried it with a crude PIR triggered light which it isnt always possible to have trigger completely reliably and never false trigger who has alexa already.

Reply to
Rod Speed

it would be but you don't seem to have that functionality

Reply to
Animal

My ancient Smiths PIR bulkhead fitting has two pots on the circuit board to alter the light threshold (for setting up) and the duration that the light remains on.

Reply to
Andrew

Used this, one~two years ago :-

It's just a bog standard PIR light (lamp) fixed above the front door switches on when people reach the front door (has to be well angled as people walking past will trigger it if it is set fully forward) then remains on for a set time (10 seconds, 45 seconds, two minutes or 10 minutes.

I feel you are over-thinking this, just get a standard PIR outdoor light and install. Only, MAY be non-trivial part, getting power to it. But it should not be beyond your ken to sort that out

Reply to
soup

Fused power the other side of a single brick wall.

I have actually ordered a 10 watt version of something similar.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Why would you want a few minutes on delay? If you are in the field of view of its PIR sensor then it stays on otherwise it goes off after about half a minute (maybe a minute tops).

I have this battery powered one (takes 3 C cells) as does our VH. Provides enough light to find the keyhole on return and or walk down the drive to the street where there are streetlamps when leaving.

Batteries last about a year or so in near daily use. Only comes on after dark the PIR sensor must be very low current.

Reply to
Martin Brown