3M Marine Adhesive Sealant - Help!

I recently applied some 3M 5200 on a couple of jets in my spa. The temp here is doesn't get over 60 degrees and drops to around 25 degrees at night. It's been two days now and it's still tacky. The container says that the cure temp is 77 degrees. Would it be ok to place a space heater near it to speed up the curing time??? The spa is outdoors.

Thanks!

Reply to
Paull

"Paull" wrote in news:bor1m8$c7e$ snipped-for-privacy@reader2.nmix.net:

Maybe a heat lamp would be safer?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

You need more help than you think...

My advice would be to remove those jets and scrap off the 5200 before that stuff cures!!! Once 5200 cures, it is VERY PERMANENT. If you ever need to change one of those jets, you will be removing it with a hole saw. You won't be able to pry it off without taking a chunk of the tub along with it.

Redo the job with 4200. It is a little milder in the strength department, and there is a fast cure version that will work just fine for you.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor
5200 is a moisture cured sealant/adhesive.. If your humidity is low, you may want to mist the surface.

Also, if you applied it very think, it may take a long long time to cure in the inside since the air/moisture is excluded. If there is a need for a very thick bead, then do it in several applications.

Steve s/v Good Intentions

Reply to
Steve

Now you tell me. I used the 5200 on all the jets this summer. Temp wasn't an issue then. Now I applied it on two more a couple of days ago. It's curing but very slowly. I'm rebulding this spa and using new parts so I'm not concerned with it being permanent. I just want to stuff to cure in the cold weather.

Thanks!

Reply to
Paull