Reading Lights

Does anyone have any opinion on 'reading lights' - like this:

Is there something special about the bulb or lens, or are they just overpriced fashion items?

I actually wouldn't mind a decent light for bench work - any tips on a decent bulb, or is one of those lghts the best option?

Reply to
RJH

The latter and they target a very particular market segment of older non technical people looking for a magic fix for their failing eyesight.

Any half decent LED task lighting will do the job well enough. It doesn't even have to look pretty in a workshop.

In the field I find the soap bar torches with a distributed phosphor patch ~1cmx7cm and multiple LED dies behind gives a nice shadow free even lighting. They come with a hook and a magnet on the back to attach to convenient things. My own bench lighting is still filament based.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I?ve always regarded these things as a bit of a scam. I?m sure the makers don?t manufacture their on bulbs (which all you need after all). The bulbs they do use have a high CRI (colour rendering index - sunlight = 100) and I dare say if you were to buy the highest CRI LED bulb that you could find you?d get the same results for a lot less money.

The reviews are always glowing, but of course no one is going to admit that a £200 reading lamp is only a tiny bit better than a cheap one.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Overpriced designer "daylight" LED

My mother has serious sight problems and has benefited from

for reading and her hobbies. Although currently out of stock at Amazon it was £27 including postage. It's a floor standing light with the light source that can be placed approx 2 foot above or to the side of the persons head when seated.

Reply to
alan_m

+1 Usually targetted advertising in publications aimed at the elderly.
Reply to
alan_m

on 11/12/2021, RJH supposed :

They are just normal technolgy, either quartz halogen, or LED, being hyped up as something they are not. They are just good bright lights and work like any other good, bright, task light. Only those who do not have a decent task light, will be impressed by them.

Over priced and advertised on TV, to fool the few.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

And "disability" prices too.

Reply to
newshound

These days the new lights are COB LED rather than using bulbs, because you then don't need to have a point source, you can have a flat surface for more evenly distributed lights.

We have one of these:

is really good. CRI 'as high as' 85 and it's decent for artwork. The remote control for changing brightness/colour temperature is useful too. The reviews suggest it's claiming to be 1500 'lumens', evidently the Chinese version of that unit, but it's plenty bright as a task/reading light.

I suspect their customer base are used to tungsten lamps, and providing them with a good LED 4000-5000K lamp would do most of the job. They don't actually need CRI of 98 just for reading a book.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I've always suspected that the people who spend this sort of money on a reading lamp are probably the same ones who spend £5K+ per metre for speaker cable (along with little ceramic insulators to keep it off the floor.)

My very efficient desk and floor standing lights all came from the likes of IKEA, Lidl and Aldi and I don?t think any of them cost more than £20. Don?t fall for the copywriter's hype.

Reply to
Scribbles

'Light engine' my arse! That bollocks gives the game away.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

+1

Pop into IKEA, they have a very good range of similar lights of decent quality etc for a fraction of the price. Plus you can return them if not suitable.

Reply to
Brian

Yes, that made me chuckle.

Reply to
Brian

Just another elderly aimed rip-off. Peter

Reply to
Peter James

Many thanks to you all. I was asking on behalf of a friend (I've passed the messages on), and I was interested anyway. I'll take a look at some high CRI bulbs. Whether my friend buys one for his not that old wife remains to be seen . . .

Reply to
RJH

I would look at the RNIB catalogue, as they tend to stock lights for specific eye conditions, many with good white rendition. Not cheap but most people seem to think they are worth the money. I know a company called optilec used to also stock good ones, but I have no need for them these days, I'm beyond seeing. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

If you look up lighting on the pocklington Trust web site, they have a whole booklet on them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Thanks - fraction of the price of the boutique lamps, but still not cheap - a floorstanding recharagable at £115:

https://sh> I would look at the RNIB catalogue, as they tend to stock lights for

Reply to
RJH

Can't beat an Anglepoise type IME. You don't normally want a narrow beam, you want diffused light to reduce shadows. A conventional shaped LED bulb as used in pendants should be OK. My preference for reading is the 12 volt halogens that are mounted on two "radio aeriels". In a workshop, you need more travel.

Reply to
newshound

And if you look at their Trustpilot (yes, I know) once you're hooked they send you a lot of spam:

the comment spats with the CEO are amusing too.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

My small workbench lighting is an ancient anglepoise, fitted with a mains halogen 100w bulb. And I have a couple of new spares. Be nice to have something that gave as good light without the heat, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News