SOT: An Amazon trick

Slightly off-topic, but: I buy a lot of my tools on Amazon.
This week I bought another external hard disk for backup purposes -- LaCie Rugged -- got 3 or 4 now.
In Amazon's "often bought with this item" was the item "USB 3 cable - ?4.99".
Funny I thought -- all my previous ones came with the necessary cable(s). No mention of a cable in the details though ... so I thought what the hell "it's only a fiver", and ordered one. (Forgetting, in the excitement of buying something, that I have plenty of bloody cables here in my cables drawer!)
So it arrived, and sure enough it had two USB cables right there in the box -- of course it had: why would anyone sell a disk *without* a cable?
So then I thought: No wonder a cable is "often bought with this item": there's plenty of mugs about, as I've just proved.
So then I thought: all that Amazon have to do is lie about it for (say) a week, and then the lie becomes unvarnished truth.
Hmph.
John

It isn't only Amazon, almost anything bought on the web seems to involve difficulties that essentially rely on the fact that people that obtain goods and services with the click of a mouse, are not going to go to a lot of trouble to persue a claim.
Had trouble with 3 in Ireland, a defective instruction on PAYG data cards webpage meant that anyone topping up a card on the internet was ripped off, with a few K of data being supplied instead of 1 to 3G
A known problem, one they knew about for three years!
Amazon are fraudsters, I was ripped off for a Kindle, bought in Argos, no word of adverts, but it was just adds everywhere when I tried it. Amazon tried it on for £10-00 to remove the adds.
Their scam when checking out is quite subtle too, click the mouse in the most obvious spot and you have signed up to prime.
Then there is the dissection of the order to see which of the "free" deliveries were actually charged for.
At that point if it's multiple items, I usually can't be bothered and use Ebay. At least the postage is clearly marked.
It's very convenient these little errors, they are common with every supplier in every sector, my most recent being yesterday with a finace related service.
There is one overriding factor that they all have in common though, the vendor in control of the site/ business always benefits from the "error".
AB
On 04/08/18 03:40, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

I very sincerely hope that you get stitched up every time. You certainly don't give a toss about staff in the bricks and mortar businesses.
On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 08:54:22 +0100, Richard

You are very wrong. I cannot for the life of me understand how a DIY group manages to attract you flipping idiots, you give all the impressions of being able to read, but somehow nothing sinks in.
Some of the "DIY" projects completed by some of the morons here must be a total joke, I wouldn't trust a lot of the people that post here with one of those kiddies rubber hammers.
Actually I do give a damn. I always shop locally where possible and go out of my way to find the outlets that provide that bit of service that gives the edge over "box shifters". Electronic outlets were never successful, so unless One lived near Edgeware road, mail order was always the only option.
We are at a point where the experienced retailer is dying off, and DIY in particular is suffering.
As the retailers are going, local revenues are plummeting also.
You get what you pay for!
One up to B&Q really, I am not totally enamoured by their operation, but they do seem to have a small proportion of staff that take an interest in the product range.
The other side of the coin is Screwfix & Toolstation where they are obviously geared for a kind of semi professional select and collect approach, they should be faster than Senators outlets, sadly I am always stuck behind some tosser that seems to want an in depth training session in the use of a 20mm conduit socket. Probably the only purchase too!
AB
On 04/08/2018 09:44, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

With larger items local outlets are often only a middle man with an on-line account ordering your goods that get delivered straight from the manufacturer.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

(Amazon.com product link shortened)33372867&sr=8-1&keywords=how+to+win+friends+and+influence+people
Another satisfied customer, by the looks of things.
michael adams

a new Screwfix brnach near here has a large sign : "Staff are no longer able to give advice on the use of purchases." Perhaps someone got bad advice & sued them?
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

I can well imagine someone attaching the blame to an assistant when things go wrong.
I tend to think that the more likely scenario was a shopful of customers waiting while the staff gave some plonker an in depth lesson in the bleeding obvious. People are less patient these days.
AB

When they first started to open counters there was no real need for a sign as a purchaser who did not really know what they wanted or how to use something stood out a bit amongst the builders and could be intimated by the impatient shuffling of feet and sighs of exasperation till they moved their ass, I recall when the Southampton branch had recently opened and old chap around 70 who may have heard the place was cheaper than many went to the counter ,produced a door handle and asked the assistant if he could advise on what would replace it, he got short shrift “ We are here for people who know what they need sir, If you want to look at things and ask advice there is B and Q not far away. Now days they seem to have mellowed a bit with occasionally a member of staff on customer help duty. In a way a shame ,bit like Lidl becoming acceptable to the majority which means the practice of reloading into the trolley at speed and transferring items into bags at the packing shelf has almost ceased.
GH
On Sun, 05 Aug 2018 14:32:45 +0000, Marland wrote:

Indeed. I find the same at Aldi. The staff (including my son) seem quite irritated by it.

Irritated? It seems logical to me, I dont use a trolley, but the general speed of Lidl and Aldi attracts me every time.
On the rare occasions that I use trollys, chucking the stuff in and sorting at the window seems obvious, although I usually sort into the car hatchback.
You do get the odd idiot that cannot understand the basics, like the purpose of the divider on the belt, but it's a quick system.
I used to use Asda, but the staff were too interested in chatting amongst themselves to serve the public.
AB
On Sun, 05 Aug 2018 16:39:50 +0100, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

Sorry, I mean irritated by the customers who can't grasp the idea. I pride myself on the speed I reload my trolley!
On Sunday, 5 August 2018 17:52:06 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:

I think we know the ideas we just don't like it.
I picked the stuff off of the shelves, usually the heavest first in the bot tom of the trolly or more usualy basket so I donl;t squash the more delicat e and lighter stuff. This then goes on the convey belt. Now because the lighter stuff is at the top I don't want to shove it back i nto the basket 'I'm still taking stuff out !, so after taking it all out an d getting it scanned I now have to put it al back in the basket, then take it all out again and put in bags !, no way.
Same thing when a store as 20-30 till points and only has a few open. Once when in a large checkou queue I went up to one of those that looked li jke a manager and said , you can either employ someone to take my money or they can put my shopping back on the shelves your choice and I but the bask et on the floor and left. When I first left school I worked in a supermarket and I was told we are th eir to serve the customers once they've completed their self service, we ev en on occasion helped pack their bags and carry them to the car.

For me it takes as long as it takes.
troble is some shops have such small areas for packing it makes things wors e, especailyl the self scan.

I don't reload my trolley, I pack as I go ;-P
1. When walking around the shop, grab some empty boxes. There's usually some in the fruit and veg section, or a cage where someone is filling a shelf elsewhere 2. Empty your shopping onto the belt sorting as you go, heavy things first, chilled stuff together, fragile things last 3. Line up your empty boxes in the trolley 4. When the checkout person is throwing stuff at you, throw it into the box in the trolley. When a box is full, put another box on top of it, repeat 5. Pay and go, no need to repack 6. Transfer filled boxes into the car 7. At home, boxes go in the recycling when they've been emptied
Theo
Bob Eager wrote:

They still seem to encourage it here, if only by piling things from the belt to the little shelf at full speed, I notice they've usually scanned a few items of the next customer's items while waiting for the previous one to pay or even while the previous receipt is still printing.
On Mon, 06 Aug 2018 11:49:57 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

At Aldi, they are evaluated on scan performance.
On 06/08/2018 19:43, Bob Eager wrote:

All supermarkets evaluate scan performance. It's just in other supermarkets the bar is set much lower to annoy custormers waiting in the queue
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 05/08/2018 16:29, Bob Eager wrote:

+1 It is a system that worked extremely well and should be encouraged again.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

I totally agree. Waiting for someone to pack their bags and then search for means of paying is a PITA. Especially if they have a car.
But then many these days don't give a stuff about others. Or even more likely never entered their mind.
--
*Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.

On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 12:47:03 +0100, alan_m wrote:

A few years ago the local Aldidls didn't allow baskets to be taken through; now they do. The only time that I've used a trolley is when I wanted just a few items but one of them was an SDS drill.
Most of the time it was a bsket and load the items into rucksack/bags but now I can take the basket to shelf so it's quicker.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away