SOT: An Amazon trick

At Aldi, they are evaluated on scan performance.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Order at work, collect after work. They are open until 8 p.m. on weekdays round here.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Do trade do this too, you've been saying that screwfix is a trade outlet and they do do trade but I donlt think they open from 10am to 4pm on sunday for the TRADE. I don't think they open M-F until 10pm for the TRADE. They may well open at 6am for the TRADE.

Reply to
whisky-dave

They don't differentiate between customers. They'll serve anyone

Reply to
charles

if you're in the trade you should have the parts in the van before you arri ve at the job.

The trade uses mail order too.

when my dad did DIY he didn;t go to one of the sheds to get the wood he wen t to a builders merchant the wood was much cheaper apparently, I remmeber m e and him using the old pram to balance the wood on and walking back with i t.

I wouldn't use such a person/organiation then.

Which do the trade use then ?

if I ask the TRADE to come an fix a leaky tap then I expect the TRADE to ca rry a few washers at least I wouldnlt expect them to be able to replace the tap but I;d expect the TRADE to have one on the van and not say to me sorr y I've got to go to screwfix/B&Q to get a washer. I;d also expec that the TRADE could get a washer I want rather than have to pay for a bag of 10 (all the same) or a selection for every tap I'll ever own.

Well when screwfix have size of B&Q and the convience. I wanted a watering can and despite screwfix being much closer they didn;t have the one I wanted, so I had to go to B&Q at least they had it in stock on the shop floor.

but then again amazon are much better than screwfix. screwfix won;t delivery to the local 24 hour Tesco or co-op, I'm not open 2

4 hour either being at work or out.

Reply to
whisky-dave

But they often have an elecfix or plumbfix counter round the back, which I assume they would turn joe public away from?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I agree I can't see the TRADE telling it;s workers to go to screwfix or B&Q after work. Although they (the department) did try it on me, they won;t employ the por ters to deliver parcels to the department. I don't mind going to the postro om to collect parcels b ut thyey compaim if I'm not in the lab as I can't b e in 2 places at the same time they sugegsted I collect the parcels during my lunch hour.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Are you saying there are Lidl with a decent car park, but no normal trolleys?

The drag along baskets they have at my local one also have handles to use like a basket - although if full would be hard work to lift.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So small they don't have a car park?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No idea, what is the diffence ? I thought TRADE was where you go in and buy a pack of 10 of something for your company that most people buy in singles, it's like the cash and carry I use to go to.

How do they identify an indiviudual as TRADE ? Do they have to go with some sort of offical letter like we used to have to do to pick something up from the TRADE counter at RS ? It was just a headed note paper with a signature on saying I worked for the university and that they would be paying in cash. we used to sent students to them.

Reply to
whisky-dave

The Lidls with no trolleys are the smaller high street grocery only stores. Customers with cars will use the multi story car parks or similar which service the high street as a whole

The baskets themselves are around 18 inches tall. Say another 12 inches for the extended handle. That makes a total of 30 inches

If it's assumed the belt is 30in off the ground.

Then regardless of the weight, to lift the basket onto the belt would require a lift of 60 inches - five feet.

michael adams

michael adams

+1 It is a system that worked extremely well and should be encouraged again.
Reply to
alan_m

All supermarkets evaluate scan performance. It's just in other supermarkets the bar is set much lower to annoy custormers waiting in the queue

Reply to
alan_m

If you have a trade account you get discounts on their excessive pricing.

You also aren't covered by the sale of goods act.

Reply to
dennis

I didn't know that the SOGA didn't cover trade purchases. I thought it applied any time that goods were sold, no matter whereabouts in the "food chain". I've learned something!

Reply to
NY

Are you sure, why would a DIY store offer such a thing. I thought TRADE identified a professional product which was stronger or better in some waya than a DIY product of teh same type.

That seems a little odd.

Reply to
whisky-dave

That's volume ordering, where you're a business with premises. If you're a volume builder you'll probably have agreements direct with distributors - I doubt the likes of Barratt shop at Screwfix. You probably have a yard somewhere that distributors deliver to, where you keep stock and ship out goods to your different worksites.

But the other end is self-employed builders, plumbers, electricians, etc. They know they're going to need this list of bits for Mrs Jones' extension, but they don't have premises to order them to (beyond their own home) or anyone who will be in to receive orders. If they have staff, they'll all be out on jobs.

Some of the bigger local firms, or those that need workshops (double glazing, etc) may well have premises and office staff.

Usually things like asking for headed notepaper, company details, qualifications, credit checks, references. It varies - I don't know what Plumbfix, Howdens, Benchmarx, etc accept these days.

There isn't a whole lot of difference between an individual and someone self-employed as a sole trader. Or even someone who is self-building a house (and hence will buy rather a lot of stuff). But they do try various means to prevent the public getting access.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

It's what I guessed. I'd not use one of those since i like to look at the special offers, and the smaller stores may not have all of them.

I don't much like those pull along baskets - but haven't found any actual problems using them despite my great age. ;-)

Could be the conveyor belt end of the checkout needs a re-design to make them easier to use. But then 'they'd' soon fill that up with adverts or things for sale.

Anyone else really hate those cards they put round the card terminals in some stores?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I totally agree. Waiting for someone to pack their bags and then search for means of paying is a PITA. Especially if they have a car.

But then many these days don't give a stuff about others. Or even more likely never entered their mind.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You've been taken in by the ad men again.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)