Extractor fan through roof tiles Q.

Having got my "roof feet" in June (and having to wait until last week to know it was a success) the next project up there looks like being one to take the output of the bathroom and cloakroom extractor fans, and try and pipe it directly through a modified roof tile that it seems you can get these days.

Currently they both have to pull through a 180-degree bend, which reduces the efficiency quite a bit. They also have to go into pain-in-the-arse-to- reach soffit vents which then point *down*.

So the thinking is to change the fans orientation to vertical, and have one pipe in - straight - and the other out - straight until it goes into the roof tile.

It's a concrete tiled roof, if it matters. I am starting to develop an aversion to anything sold as "universal", so is it best to get a specific vent for the tiles on my roof (Redland Stonewold II) ?

And, of course, any "gotchas".

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Isn't it vented with the air ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Redland do do their own vent tiles IIRC - I think I have one for the same reason.

I questioned how rain proof they were, but a hose test failed to cause any water to run into the vent pipe so that passed.

Watch that you either have a condensate drain or the pipe runs downwards all the way to the ceiling vent.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Not being a roof expert in any way, but does this not sound like a great way to get water into the ducting? If it has some kind of device to stop this it will be, presumably as inefficient at moving air as the right angled duct was, or am I missing something? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff