USB 2.0 cables

After doing a bit googling for a long, 3 or 5 meter, usb 2.0 cable, and looking on ebay, I noticed that there is a wide variety in prices for virtually what seems to be the same cable.

Also I have some USB 2.0 cables which are thin and cheap to look at, and others which are thicker and look better quality. Does it make any difference between thicker and thinner cables regarding speed or data rates.

Reply to
Bob H

Yes there's various catogories .

I'd go with cat 5 as the minium.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Those are for structured building wiring, not USB.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Are you sure that cat5 applies to USB cables? I've only ever heard of it in connection with twisted-pair Ethernet cabling.

To the OP, there are definitely different qualities of USB cabling, but I'm sure there is a wide range of prices for equal quality (eg

). Cable quality will affect:

- durability

- resistance to external noise

- quality of connectors External noise will introduce errors that will either stop the devices being able to communicate, or will slow things down as they retry to get past the error.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Err, I'm talking about USB 2.0 cables not ethernet cables to which your link goes to!

I have cat5e ethernet cables, but I am not asking about them.

Reply to
Bob H

It shouldn't do, if the cable is genuinely USB compliant.

some cables may be intended for data use but not for charging at up to 5 amps.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Sorry, that's the cheapskate version. For maximum chutzpah see:

Martin Bonner

Yes sorry about that it was for ethernet cables.

As foir most cables I steer clear of teh really cheap ones from ebay etc...

Reply to
whisky-dave

Gordon Bennet! Even the cheapskate version is out of my price league for a USB cable.

Reply to
Bob H

What about the usb cables from Amazon then?

Reply to
Bob H

Yeh, I find it so irritating when "101010101" goes into a cable and "110011001" comes out the other end. But isn't it odd how the problem doesn't seem to affect sending a couple of Gb to a hard drive...?

Reply to
Adrian

Only if as a result of badly designed connectors they fall apart internally under the stress of repeated use. If you intend to plug in and leave them any old cable will do provided all the wires are good.

This doesn't prevent snake oil salesmen from selling gold plated interconnects spun by virgin mermaids in an oxygen free atmosphere.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Oooh, how harsh! And so soon after those Russ Andrews links...

Reply to
Adrian

Gold plating is good in that it tarnishes less in air, which is a real problem for anyone who's sworn at poor quality jacks or even a ZX81 RAM pack.

It's the "oxygen free aligned crystals destressed" bollocks that makes Russ Andrews rich. That and a surplus of loaded morons.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I see it has a 60 day money back guarantee...

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

How do they breathe without oxygen?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Amazon host so many retailers now, the Amazon name is no mark of quality. Often the same vendors are on both Amazon and ebay

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I wondered that, and had two solutions :

1) They're mermaids, so they can have a pool of water to "breathe" in in between spinning 2) They take deep breaths, go and do some spinning, then come out again after a short time. This will obviously reduce productivity, making the results even more expensive.
Reply to
Clive George

By drinking unicorn blood and they are very rare beasts. How else do you explain the prices? ;-)

Reply to
Martin Brown

Oxygen-free water?

Reply to