Mains voltage

Door bell rang twice, it wasn't carrol singers, but there was no one there electromechanical doorbell has a ATTiny 85 micro controller of my own design and I can only guess that mains glitches crashed it. All the light bulbs are LED and mains voltage variations go unoticed.

In other news, Plusnet went down for about 10 minutes at about midday, I seems like a lot of sense people in the Manchester area reported it.

--

Reply to
Graham.

Everyone must be cooking their turkeys because my mains voltage is only

217V and my solar PV inverter keeps dropping off line, not that there's much daylight available anyway. Happy Crimble!
Reply to
The Other John

Demand is only just over 30GW, of which CCGT is supplying 2GW. Frequency is

49.873Hz.

WHS!

Reply to
Spike

PS: Mains voltage here is 238.0, fluctuating by +-0.2V.

Reply to
Spike

Must be those megawatts of flashing LEDs

Mine (which reaches 252V most days) is around 241V at the moment

Likewise ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Haven't even got my pizza out of the freezer yet!

Internet seems okay though as I am getting 2 bars of 4g on my mobile hotspot.

Treated myself and put the heating on this morning too.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

241 to 243 here!
Reply to
Bob Eager

Now the cooking's over it's back up to 230V, often 234V in daytime.

Reply to
The Other John

Complaints on local groups round here are mainly about the slowness of TalkTalk at the moment. Don't think they have the backhaul to handle these

100GB game 'updates' for games received for Christmas.
Reply to
Bob Eager

They should go to a friend's house and ask them to put it on a floppy.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

thumb drive is the correct parlance

you wont get 100GB on a floopy

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Google has a 20Gbit/sec fiber trial they're working on.

That would take quite the household router.

I suppose you could keep all the bandwidth to yourself (connect the cable to just one PC).

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Probably more than one PC could handle as well

Ok at 64 bit wide data bus, that's only 320MHz access to RAM..so maybe.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have dual-40Gbit network cards in two of my PCs. They were £40 each on ebay. I've only patched one port with a back to back cable to the other PC, but I do get ~37Gbps.

You can buy 200Gbit NICs these days, which push the limits of PCIe a bit more. Still relatively affordable used:

The usual bottleneck though is the efficiency of the software processing the traffic - need tweaking to ensure you make best use of CPU to be able to handle the packets, and probably a decent server CPU to have enough horsepower.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

800Gbe is in development

Heading towards servers with DPUs, which are to NICs what GPUs are to dumb graphics cards, packet offloading on steroids ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think paying for a 100GbE card, just to get that signal into the PC, would take some of the fun out of it.

It's also not exactly clear, what speed you can get from a network stack with this stuff. I tried searching. I even tried asking CoPilot. I got mush for answers. CoPilot referenced this, and there's no evidence this has anything to do with whizzy NICs.

To some extent, high packet rates on NICs is going to rely on interrupt consolidation. And I don't really know how far you can stretch that concept. What practical limits are there to buffer rings ? Buffer rings today, are a lot larger than they used to be.

Windows 10 and Windows 11 still have interrupt rate limiters. Just as older Windows did. That's one of the incentives to have interrupt consolidation on a NIC.

On Win2K, I measured 40MB/sec as the best you could manage on a GbE. That's how long ago, since I've tested this stuff. WinXP was able to run GbE at 112MB/sec. The rate today, has some dependencies on whether encryption on the link is being used.

But I haven't seen any kind of thoughtful testing lately for stacks. People have got RealTek 2.5Gbit/sec hardware now, on more than one of their PCs, and there's just no test results out there. An AQC107 should be giving us hobbyist testing of 10GbE capabilities on modern OSes. Nothing.

It's like nobody cares whether their stuff is tuned or not.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Something interesting over Christmas. S.I.L. brought an early i pad to try on our wi-fi. Apparently worked fine here but not in London on a fibre connection.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I pads don't have fibre connections

Reply to