Mains voltage

But a few years ago they could be fussy about certain DHCP servers.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Biggest “woosh!” Of 2023 maybe?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

No. Its a completely different part of the router

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Something to do with the router source speed?

Different router/wi-fi obviously but I assume there is a data rate issue. Radio was not part of my engineering studies.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I'm not suggesting the ipads don't like the router because the router has fibre, just that for unrelated reasons, old ipads don't like some router's dhcp.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Indeed. I used to get very pissed off when my older iPad refused to connect to some Wi-Fi networks whilst my wife’s newer one would.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It would have to be fed through a router. And the type of connection from the router to the wider Internet would be irrelevant.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, Tim Streater snipped-for-privacy@streater.me.uk> writes

And the wi-fi data rate? Or does the router determine that from the i-pad.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

No. All the pad 'sees' is the wifi.

If it doesn't work at all, then the wifi isnt working, or at most the DHCP isnt working to issue the pad with a valid IP address etc. Apple is renowned for ignoring any standards but its own.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That isn't quite what you said. I think you have clipped the part which implied that it was the router being fussy about ITS DHCP server, up at the ISP.

It would not surprise me in the least that the router was set to something other than the normal protocol for today - WPA2/PSK

And Apple barfed on it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That is negotiated to be whatever the link and the kit at each end will stand .

Like old fashioned modems

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Completely irrelevant. The flow rate from end to end is managed by the TCP/IP protocols. Each bit of wire (or not, in the case of wi-fi) has its own speed. That this is so by and large DOESN'T MATTER. Other things being equal, and if you have no other traffic, and you have an end to end connection that is made up of sections running at diffeent transfer rates, the end to end transfer rate will ramp up until the slowest link is saturated. At which point it starts dropping packets, at which point the end-to-end protocol, TCP/IP, will cause the sender to slow down.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Rubbish. The early iPad must have had a bug in its DHCP software, subsequently fixed in later ones. Bit that's iPads. No mac I've ever used has ever has a DHCP problem.

And I'll think you'll find it's MS which has frm in ignoring standards. As we saw in their whole attitude to the Internet and the web, with Internet Explorer. And see my sig.

Reply to
Tim Streater

No different from Microsoft in that respect.

Reply to
charles

Relatively recent install as it followed a house move/renovation. Router age/version unknown but I will pass on your comments.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, Tim Streater snipped-for-privacy@streater.me.uk> writes

Ok Tim. I think I have got the process now. Detached house in London so all sorts of electromagnetics floating about. The router is ok with their other gadgets so ditch the old pad.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

With an Applodian ecosystem, you feed the machine Apple packets, not Generic Brand packets :-) Just as you charge the battery with Apple electrons, not Generic unpasturized electrons.

Remember, when Apple puts up a File Sharing dialog, it breaks the state machine for authentication, and by the time the user has typed their password, both computers involved in the transaction, have completely forgotten the user was trying to file share. That's what I used to watch in horror, on my G4 Quad Nostril :-) It's just the Apple way of doing things. If your pay depends on incompetence, well, there you go. Interface to foreign equipment ? f*ck-it-up-Charley-please.

Translating my rant into English, you need to find a different way to feed it. Maybe a separate Apple router fed from the master router.

Another example of "taming electronics".

Acer monitor. HDMI input does not work with the computer. OK, take DP to HDMI active adapter, plug into Acer monitor, the active adapter seems to make the "right flavor" of HDMI, and using the DP port on the video card and the adapter, I can use the bloody monitor. See how easy this is ? A full junk room of intermediaries and emissaries bearing gifts, does the job.

Computer --- DP port ------> DP-to-HDMI-active-adapter ------> HDMI port on Acer monitor OK

Computer --- HDMI port --------------------------------------> HDMI port on Acer monitor Fail (black screen, no OSD error)

Paul

Reply to
Paul

No, what will happen is that ACKS will be very delayed, and no further packets will be sent until the ACKS from previous packets have been received.

Dropped packets only happen when one end keeps stuffing packets into a link that cant buffer whats its sent.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Maybe. Maybe not,. There are many variables in Wifi and DHCP - frequency, protocols, security protocol.

Er no. Apple is the browser that STILL cannot deal with Webm video protocols Apple is the platform that invented firewire, used by no one else.

I could go on and on.

As we

MS was big enough to set standards, Apple is not.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have found the following Wifi setup to be optimal for all my guests

Mode should be mixed - 11b + 11g +11n Security should be WPA2/PSK

These are things that need to be set up on the router

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher