Mains voltage

Apple and Microsoft have different sins they like to commit. They're not exactly the same.

The Microsoft ecosystem is open, and there are a lot more variables involved. To reduce workload, Microsoft gradually replaces custom drivers with class drivers. Their next project will involve printers. How it will end up, that's a good question, as an anemic printer control panel is never going to work for an art printer. Declaring that the only media you print on, is sheets of typing paper, will never work.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Apple users would disagree.

Reply to
Fredxx

My explanation was good enough for government work. The salient point is that there is end-to-end flow control so the speed and type of intermediate links doesn't have to be known by any equipment other than what the links are connected to.

Reply to
Tim Streater

And which Safari version is that?

And they were the first to sell machines with USB, sold by no one else at the time

Canon certainly used it on at least the video camera I still have of theirs (from 2006 or so). That's how you downloaded video for editing.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Not strictly true.

Many packets can be in train depending on the initial transaction; where the receiver may only send occasional ACKs. If a dropped/missing packet occurs then an ACK is sent for the last good packet received preceding that, so the sender can resend a dropped packet. The packets can be sent out of order.

Yes, but the overall link will(should) negotiate and minimise any dropped packet.

The overall idea is to ensure continuous data through the slowest link.

Reply to
Fredxx

For a network card? There are 400Gbps NICs available but you need PCIe Gen5 x16 to feed them.

Most of the current 400GbE is used between switches.

Yes, the datacentre folks have a variety of things including a 'bump in the wire' FPGA that is on both PCIe and intercepts the networking (eg Microsoft Catapult in Azure), and smart NICs which are NICs with a programmable dataplane.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Not seen NICs, just switches (32x800Gbps !!) and transceivers

Reply to
Andy Burns

Airdrop is nothing like that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

That's bullshit with firewire, the lightning connector, airdrop, imessage etc etc etc

Reply to
Rod Speed

Your explantion implied dropped packets. That simply isn't the case these days. TCP/IP is mostly auto-throttling . Dropped packets lead to disaster. Endpoints will retransmit massively increasing traffic and congestion

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

All of them

Even firefox on a MAC wont play, because the decode libraries simply don't exist on a MAC.

Apple simply doesn't think its that important to fix. Not Invented Here.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not quite true, and it's a shame it wasn't used more. In 2001 bought an Epson 2450 scanner which came with Firewire and USB2 ports. Fortunately, my (new XP) computer came with a Creative sound card which for some reason had a Firewire port. I used that with the Epson. When I tried using the USB2 port instead, I couldn't believe how slow it was compared to Firewire.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I went here

and downloaded one of the Big Bunny demos. Firefox 121.0 played it just fine. Safari didn't, but then I'm on Catalina which is about 4 versions back from the latest OS version.

So I copied the .webm file to my fileserver, which is running Monterey (only two versions back). There, Safari played it without issue.

Reply to
Tim Streater

My Nikon Coolscan slide scanner (only) uses firewire

Reply to
Andrew

Not if its encoded vorbis/VP8

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The video I downloaded as mentioned above, apparently needs the Google-On2 / VP8 codec. How does that differ from the vorbis one? Provide me with a vorbis/VP8 example.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I cant be arsed. I know because I spent days trying to make this work, that there isn't a decoder for apple

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It works fine on my Windows PC using Firefox.

I recommend both. If you want to spend 'days trying to make this work" then feel free to stick to Linux.

Reply to
Fredxx

Having read slightly more in Winky and elsewhere, I only see Vorbis mentioned in the context of audio. And it was the VLC media player that gave me the codec info I quoted. So maybe vorbis/VP8 doesn't exist. Certainly the reference info on Winky put Google and On2 (whoever they may be) firmly in the spotlight codec-wise.

If I'm referred to an actual vorbis/VP8 video file, which the VLC media player can play but Safari on Monterey cannot, then I'll be minded to reboot my Mini into Sonoma.latest, to see whether it can there.

Meanwhile I have evidently voided the contention that Safari on Monterey or later, and Firefox on my becoming-ancient Catalina, can't handle WebM video.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You can't be arsed to supply an example video to someone who might be able to help you?

<fx shrugs>

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris