cooking turkeys

While not a home repair, closer than political chat.

How is it that Butterball has a frozen turkey in a bag you can take out of the freezer and put in the oven and it will cook in about the same time as a thawed one ?

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The bag steams it somewhat. The skin sucks that way though

Is it better to cook a turkey in a bag or without a bag? Bottom line: If you're looking to cook the turkey faster and keep its meat moist throughout, the bag's for you. If you want to skip scrubbing the roasting pan, the bag's for you. If you want the turkey's skin to be evenly browned and crisped, it might not be for you.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Can't stuff a frozen turkey. That makes it not worth it.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

I really like the smoked turkeys the local fire department cooked, but they only do pork for Christmas. Last year I tried several places for turkeys and most of them were only about 12 pounds, not enough for us with the family over. Bought one of the bag ones and it was ok.

We do not stuff the trukey,but make dressing in a separate pan. That is what the wife likes,so that is what we do.

AS we can not get the fire roasted turkeys we have switched to the freezer to oven in a bag one. Was wanting 2 but waited too long to get the 2nd one so now have one in the bag in the freezer and one that is in the refrigerator. Will do like I have done and cook one Thursday and reheat it Friday when the family comes over.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Maybe it's not a whole turkey but turkey bits, left over when turkey is sliced for packages of sliced turkey. They are already cooked, like hotdogs, and then molded to look like a turkey. They use bones left over from sliced turkey breast as a scaffold, and they layer the cooked turkey bits over that.

Butterball can a take a high school junior with no previous artistic training, teach him to make a realistic turkey, and after 8 years they can go out on their own doing full-size sculpture in plaster, marble, or granite. It's a wonderful opportunity.

Reply to
micky

You can with a Binford hammer-drill.

Reply to
micky

I always cook in a bag these days and it is really fast compared that all afternoon thing cooking in the open. If you want crunchy skin, cut the bag open for the last 30 minutes or so and bump up the heat a little. It does tend to dry out the turkey tho. I don't care about crunchy skin but I like the white meat to be moist so I cook it breast down in the bag. Presentation is not as nice but it squirts juice when you cut it. Don't forget to let it rest first.

Reply to
gfretwell

No it is a whole fresh turkey ( like all whole turkeys I am thinking of, all the guts are removed and it is ready to cook in the oven).

I did notice one seemed to need about 50 deg F more heat than the other.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I don't care what the bird looks like as long as it tastes good. One is going to be cooked a day ahead of time and cut up and then reheated for about half an hour before serving.

I did see about letting the bird rest about half an hour before carving. Thanks for the reminder about that. I don't think we have done that in the past.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

We brine our turkey over night in a bag in a 5 gallon bucket. There are a lot of great brine recipes out there. We don't stick to the same one all the time, we like to mix it up.

A 22-25 lb bird will fit nicely in the 5 gal bucket and keep the bird submerged in the brine. I'll turn it once or twice just to keep it evenly moist. If you use a cooler or larger container, the bag spreads out and the bird doesn't stay submerged. More turning is required

It's then rinsed, stuffed and cooked in the open oven, usually in a tin foil roasting pan set on a baking tray to make it easier/safer to get out of the oven.

Let it rest and let the juices flow.

When the kids were young, we'd go camping with another family every Thanksgiving. They would deep fry a turkey. On the years when it worked right, the turkey was fantastic. Unfortunately, some years the bird got very hard on the outside, making it difficult to eat.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Not if you want to use your own family/favorite recipe.

In addition, the amount of stuffing you can fit in a turkey isn't enough for the meal in most cases. It's certainly not enough to have enough left over for Stuffing Waffles the next morning.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

You probably won't find one pre-stuffed due to liability concerns. It's easier to undercook and wind up with salmonella, especially if it's meant to be cooked from frozen. Which is one of the problems with stuffing any turkey. By the time the center of the stuffing reaches a safe temperature, the turkey is over cooked.

Reply to
trader_4

My turkeys seemed to work out ok. One was about 13 pounds in the frozen bag to the oven type and I cooked it on Christmas eve starting about

12:30 for a 5:00 pm meal. The other was a fresh not frozen turkey that I cooked a day a head and cut off the meat and reheated. Both were ok to eat.

The wife made the dressing in a separate pan for the oven. Takes lots of meat to feed 8 adults and have anything left over for us to eat for a day or two after. . Also had a Boston butt the local fire department was selling. The son and daughter families brought some other side dishes to eat.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I never temp my stuffing, but it's pretty damned hot when it comes out. To ensure I don't overcook the breast meat, the thing spends most of its time breast-side down, and only the last hour breast-side up.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

The whole thing about poultry and hamburger, etc needing to be 165F to be safe is basically wrong, because it was apparently simplified for idiots. I figured this out wheninvestigating sous vide cooking, which was the fad a few years back. That's where the meat is sealed in a vacuum bag, then immersed in a heated water bath held at a specific temperature for a specific length of time to cook it. So the question is, how can you cook something at only 125F and have it be safe? The answer is there are tables of how long it takes to kill various bacteria at specific temperatures. Basically at 165F they are all dead instantly. At 155, it takes a few minutes, at 125 it could take 90 minutes, etc. I guess the authorities figured that was too complicated, people would screw up, so they went with the nuclear option to be sure.

Reply to
trader_4

True. Also breast meat at 165 is likely to be dry and tasteless while thigh at the same temp is still raw.

Reply to
TimR

I didn't see turducken mentioned anywhere in the comments. It was in the All Madden show on Christmas Day. Players on the sidelines were munching on it. The All Madden Show will be streamed and rerun if anyone is interested. That guy was fun to listen to. Has anyone tried turducken?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Took me a couple of seconds to find one...

Marilyn Manson

That would taste wonderful smoked for 17 hours over maple wood.

Reply to
bruce bowser